Nucleus suddenly died, $700 repair..?

As far as I understand it, the different Nucleus Rev’s were tied in a physical way to the Intel NUC motherboard version that were used. That is why you have nice tight milled holes for the connectors, instead of just an open face plate arrangement. This can limit the motherboards which can be replaced into a Nucleus, ie you can’t just stick a newer motherboard in and call it a day because the connectors will not line up. You need to either modify the Nucleus case, or, find the exact Intel NUC motherboard model to replace.

If it doesn’t switch on it’s unlikely to be the SSD. Could be the power supply, though, which shouldn’t cost that much to replace.

MoBos don’t typically die after two years, but it does happen. Component level troubleshooting and repair of a motherboard is usually not a cost effective option.

I would think someone comfortable with doing that would have just bought the NUC in the first place.

1 Like

While not an expert on the subject and not owning a Nucleus. I do sense that there might be an error reporting function on the MoBo for boot up sequence.

If the MoBo doesn’t receive any power you may have: faulty switch or power unit change

If it does light up or boot up and not load anything, then you may have a BiOS failure, boot record missing, RAM or HDD failures.

Lastly, it could be the MoBo.

I’m just posting this with my experience from past computers I’ve owned and in very humid conditions had a rather unique problem of connectors on the RAM rusting which needed cleaning ever so often to get the PC running again.

Yes, I did have the exact same issue exactly but luckily was within the 24 month window. If they do charge not sure if a civil law suit would help, but it’s definitely a common issue that they should be responsible for in my opinion.

1 Like

I agree with the other posters who say motherboards don’t die. However, the only way to test this is use a different PSU and watch for it to post. Faulty other components can cause the MB to not post though. You basically need a donor nucleus or bench to troubleshoot.

I agree with the other posters that a quick $700 for “a new motherboard” is suspect. However, that $700, regardless of the real fault, will cover a lot of parts to return you a working nucleus. It’s certainly cheaper than a new nucleus but more than you need to pay, a lot more, just to get a new Core functional… you may even be able to save some bucks and keep using the nucleus case. But, if I owned a “hifi shop” that $700 seems reasonable to return you a working machine regardless of fault.

If you end up getting another machine, I’d love to purchase just the Nucleus case for a personal project!

This topic was automatically closed after 44 days. New replies are no longer allowed.