Nucleus+ USB Output Voltage

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Nucleus+ Ver 1.7 build 710.
iMac OS 11.1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet) Ethernet connection between router and Nucleus+

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I am about to purchase a new DAC which will be connected to my Nucleus+ via a USB cable.

One DAC requires a 5V USB output from the upstream device. Does the Nucleus+ supply that amount of voltage through the USB output port?

If not what voltage, if any, does it supply?

Thank you,
Robert Cater

To be clear, your Roon Core is a Nucleus+ not an iMac?

Nonetheless, USB is a standard interface and both the iMac and Nucleus comply with this specification.

It would be helpful if you provided details of the DACs you are considering, so you are provided with appropriate support. For instance, do you want to control volume in Roon, is the DAC powered over USB, what audio equipment you are using etc.

The DAC I am considering is from Denafrips. There is no volume control and the DAC will be connected to an integrated amp via RCA. The signal path will be router to Nucleus+ via ethernet, Nucleus+ to DAC via USB and DAC to amp via RCA. The DAC will have another input from a CD Transport via Coax. If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Robert Cater

Denafrips’ DACs have their own power supplies. Why would you care about this?

Thank you for answering my question.

There is nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you!! I’m obviously not as technically savvy as I should be, but I now know more about the USB standard specification.

Robert Cater

1 Like

Some DACs require the +5V signal to recognize that there is a live USB source connected for switching purposes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.