Nucleus vs. Nucleus+

These symptoms all point to network issues:

• devices not being able to find Roon
  • intermittent playback issues

Other applications may not use your network in the same way and/or as intense as Roon.

All I’m saying is before u spend the big bucks, it might be worth making sure it isn’t a network problem, by opening up a support ticket.

1 Like

Could be your video driver. If you are using the stock Windows video driver, you should download and use the driver specific to your video card, instead.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a standard Windows video driver, which doesn’t mean it was not one of the twelve firmware updates that bombed. Hopefully, my computer repairman will figure out which one and correct the issue.

JRiver is a DNLA server so will connect to your network much as Roon does. Both work on the same principal

Server >> Network >> End Point in Roon Speak (Renderer in DNLA Speak)

The primary difference between the 2 is that Roon converts everything in the Core PC and passes a RAAT stream that your Roon Ready End Point will accept, hence why the core has a fairly high processor requirement

JRiver passes an encoded signal (MP3 , FLAC) based on the file type and the End Point (Streamer) decodes it prior to passing to the DAC

JRiver will work on either ethernet of wi fi depending upon how your Renderer (End Point) is set , if your Renderer is connected by ethernet then JRiver is networked by ethernet

On the subject of video drivers, Windows Updates have a tendency to overwrite the video driver with a Windows “best fit”, check what your card is in Device Manager and get the OEM Driver , it may well be the problem

I have finally gotten Roon to function. Thanks to a local and costly computer expert, I can now tell you the cause of all my troubles in one word:

Norton

No, not the sewer guy from The Honeymooners, but the anti-virus company, specifically their driver update offering. I was having great difficulty getting Roon to function on the computer, and Roon Remote would not connect. During that process, Norton advised me to update twelve out-of-date drivers. I took Norton up on that and for my efforts began seeing repeated blue screens of death. Turns out, this was the best thing that could have happened because I had to take the computer to an experienced computer technician who advised me about the awful reputation the Norton driver update has so ignominiously - and deservedly - earned. Moreover, previous uses of this update had already corrupted Windows, which was why I was having problems in the first place. Now that all drivers are properly updated, Roon is working just splendidly via ethernet connection to my Trinnov processor, and Roon Remote functions as advertised. I still use HDMI to the monitor, although I’m a bit surprised that what I do on the IPad is not reflected on the monitor. Next Friday, Norton will be disappearing from all my computers and replaced by superior anti-virus software.

Now, I have to figure out how to use Roon. It’s not particularly obvious, and I don’t like having to key in searches. I just want to tap a genre and see everything in composer or performer sequence with all ten recordings of the Beethoven Fifth Symphony listed alphabetically by conductor. I have a lot of work ahead of me modifying the countless genre values that imported making no sense and now have vanished altogether since I changed the genre setting. I guess I’ll have to change it back and only update the exceptions. (I can do that. Can’t I?) Learning curve 101 and 2 and 3 . . .

1 Like

Stop installing third party antivirus software. It is a boondoggle. An out of date idea that is no longer necessary. If you are running up to date Windows or macOS, you are done. Internal OS antivirus, firewall, and other security measures are more than adequate.

AJ

2 Likes

Glad you eventually got to the bottom of it !! Computers can be frustrating.

Windows Defender does for me , I have not used a third party AV for years , why spend more money when Microsoft include it in the OS ?

Roon is particularly sensitive to the video driver , there hasn’t been much comment of late but a couple of years back there were innumerable problems with Windows Update installing it’s “best fit” Over the OEM driver

WRT your searches , may I advise you let Roon look after the metadata for the time being at least and then familiarize yourself with all the tools to navigate Roon. It will save a lot of work and heartache going forward. Coming from a JRiver background (I think) you will miss the configurability of Roon BUT it’s all there somewhere. Ask the community.

If you feel after a few months you need to do it then do it , BUT Roon is not an editor (do it in JRiver, Roon will “catch up”) !!

I moved from JRiver to Roon 7 years ago and had the same thoughts , its a whole different way of navigation and is a lot more “keyboard” intensive but labour free . I use BOTH !!

There are many ways of skinning the Roon Cat :heart_eyes_cat:

Right now, the organization of the library is a total mess, making it difficult to find anything without keying in search parameters. Everything else at this point, however, seems to be working well, but it’s been the most frustrating software install in more than three decades downloading software.

Remember, filter (the little funnel symbol over Album, Artists etc fields) is your ‘local’ friend vs search.

I agree with @Charles_Peterson , maybe experiment with the Artists view, Composer view using the filter funnel. At an album level Focus allows for filtering at a Composer and Composition level , especially useful for box sets

Your biggest friend is the Filter Funnel, a few letters and you get a result , then drill down to where you want to be .

Search is a bit of a blunt instrument especially in a local library , putting in a search string causes Roon to search BOTH your local library AND any streaming (Tidal/Qobuz) library and is by definition slower , Tidal boasts 100 million tracks , a big search.

If you go to one of the primary views (Artist-Album-Composer) and use filter you get a split second response on your local files.

Give us some examples where you need to us search and lets see how it can be improved . Also note that Search is still a bit “work in progress” even since V 2.0 and the move of search to the cloud.

Beware trying to reinvent the wheel with your own metadata - Roon does it better in most cases

I want what I had in JRiver where I had established a library that required no keyed searches to locate a work. It required a great deal of setup work to accomplish that, but it created a coherent, easily searchable library. For example, I could select the classical genre/artist (I put composer in that field for classical)/work name (i.e. album). I separated works on the same album, making them unique virtual albums so Beethoven’s Symphony No. 1 showed up separately from Symphony No. 5 and in the proper sequence. I could enter the classical genre, touch “B” (or scroll), and there were all the composers whose surnames begin with “B.” Scroll through the “Bs” and there are all ten of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5s in sequence by conductor. For other musical forms, it was genre of whatever style/artist (the performer’s or musical’s name)/album, e.g., enter the jazz genre, touch “P,”, and all the jazz performers with surnames beginning with “P” appear in alphabetical order with all twenty-five of my Oscar Peterson albums appearing in alphabetic order by album.

Roon is also displaying many genres I don’t have in my library. I believe there is a setting to prevent their display. If so, I’m going to use it.

Are you saying that Roon searches on streaming services like Tidal even if I’m not a subscriber? Please say no.

P.S. The method of turning on volume leveling is completely illogical because it appears as if you are only turning it on/off for that particular recording when in fact it is a global switch. That should be in SETTINGS.

It’s not a global setting, it is per zone, and therefore it is in the Zone Settings panel.

Regarding your requirements for how you want the library to look, I’m not sure Roon is the right tool for you if you are constantly going to fight against how Roon does things

3 Likes

Then Roon should rethink its library structure. How I set up my library on JRiver was eminently logical.

Roon has an opinion on how things should be done and they won’t change it for you.

4 Likes

OK NO, if you don’t have a streaming service Roon will only search local files

Roon cannot be configured like JRiver, what you see is what you get. JRivers expression language allows a lot of flexibility.

If yo go to Settings > Library > import settings you can select a whole range of options including using your own genre.

I made the transition, my JRiver library was set up much like yours , it seems, but a change in mind set pays dividends with the additional links and metadata that Roon exposes.

If you haven’t got Tidal or Qobuz , it’s worth doing a 30 day trial to see what you get. The Artist Discography function only works if you have a streaming service for example.

Think about how long it took to add Composition and Movement to your classical files, Roon does that for you automagically

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

Go back to JRiver. You had your solution. You want folder browsing of music files disassociated from their actual music albums. Roon does not and will not ever offer that.

AJ

3 Likes

JRiver wasn’t working, which I is why I tried Roon.

Pray tell, PM if needs be, what wasn’t working in JRiver.

Whilst I have been a Roon user for over 7 years , I do still maintain my JRiver library , it works perfectly ,but differently. Many here transitioned from JRiver and there are some serious detractors , I am not one. I just find Roon that much more pleasing an experience.

The audio section of JRiver hasn’t really changed in years , the main development effort is going into video , so it if did work , I can’t see any reason why it should have stopped , I started on V15 (I think) its now 31 and steaming on. If only JimH would believe in streaming audio ALAS. He believes in Video streaming but not audio.

The INTERACT forum will help you with any technical difficulties , the developers are very active there and fix stuff very quickly.

Just keep using JRiver.

I use JRiver to manage my music, create playlist, and rip new music, but I copy those files to a SSD that I use on the Nucleus. Yes, I could use JRiver to stream music as well, but I also like the fact the Roon will automatically send the highest resolution stream that the end point can handle, unlike JRiver.

Just because you think things are logical to you, not everyone else will. You need to be more flexible in utilizing the capabilities of the JRiver/Roon integration.

So now JRiver and Roon don’t work? You probably need to take a step back and re-think everything you are doing, as well as everything you want to do.

Three decades and you still aren’t sure what’s going on?