Nucleus vs. Nucleus+

In considering whether to purchase a Nucleus, I need to know the difference between the two models. Roon’s description says of the base model that “certain combinations [of] . . . multichannel processing may not be possible.” I need clarification on that nebulous statement.

1. I have many multichannel records, some at the highest commercially available sampling rates, in all varieties of channels (3.1, 4.0. 5.0, 5.1) in both .wav and .dsf formats. They must NOT be crushed into two channels during playback. Would I need a Nucleus+ to play them, or will the base model do the job?
  2. With either box, would I be able to stream them via ethernet, or must I use HDMI?
  3. Would - must? - I connect via ethernet to my Trinnov Altitude processor and simultaneously via HDMI to a monitor?
  4. Is the Nucleus limited by the 4Gb Windows max file size?
1 Like

Except for a few non-essential startup messages that are only important is there is a connection problem, neither Nucleus outputs to a monitor. There is no reason to run a Nucleus connected to a monitor.

Both of the Nucleuses (Nuclei?) use the same OS. I don’t believe there is any size restriction.

For the specs of the Nucleus models, see the bottom of this page -

https://roon.app/en/nucleus

Thank you for responding, but my question as to whether I would need a Nucleus+ to accomplish my goals remains unanswered.

How so?

Really, the only difference (for you) is how many endpoints you want to play simultaneously, how heavy the DSP you want, how many tracks you have. Those questions are answered in the Nucleus spec sheet.

1 Like

The only difference between them is CPU power. The Nucleus has an i3 processor, the Nucleus plus an i7.

Roon is pretty efficient, so playing files (even multi channel ones) as is to a few endpoints doesn’t consume much CPU.

Upsampling, particularly to DSD, or adding DSP for room correction consumes more power. This is particularly true for multi channel files.

More endpoints also consumes cpu - so if you’re planning in half a dozen or more roon endpoints then more CPU would be useful.

So if you don’t plan to do upsampling or have a large number of endpoints, even with higher sample rate multi channel music, you should be fine with a standard Nucleus.

Nucleus doesn’t use Windows, it’s built on Linux. There is no practical file size limit with Linux’s ext4 file system:

And 4 GB vs 8 GB RAM, I think

Library size is another criteria but the OP didn’t say

1 Like

One thing to consider is to find out if the Trinnov will accept DSD via RAAT. Other posts mention they don’t and it’s converted to pcm, the receiver would likely be doing the same to allow for DSP. This would likely end up taxing the standard Nucleus especially for high rate multichannel.

1 Like

I have decided to commit to Roon as my music server, although the experience of installing it has been exceedingly unpleasant, in no small part because I am no techno-wizard and am struggling to comprehend how Roon works. I have read your articles, and my eyes glaze over. JRiver is far more comprehensible, but it has let me down.

I will be purchasing a Nucleus. Since I am only planning to use one end point and don’t intend to create DSD files (and wouldn’t know how), I presume the smaller model will suffice. May I presume that the Roon with Nucleus will convert all file forms to PCM as it did without the Nucleus and pass them unencumbered to my Trinnov Altitude 16 processor where all the DSP work will take place?

This move engenders several other questions, which will no doubt reveal that I do not fully understand how this entire system works. Indeed, reading the Roon manuals makes my eyes glaze over.

1. Nucleus’ specs say it has two USB 3.0 ports but do not say what type of USB connector I will need. The image I found online appears to reveal USB-A connectors. Is that correct?
  2. Since I already have Roon installed on a Windows 10 computer with the files imported there, would it be better to uninstall Roon from the computer and start with a fresh download and re-import? (The computer will be going into the shop this week.) The music files are located on a stand-alone hard drive, not the computer.
  3. Would an import with Nucleus in play work any differently than the way I did it the first time? Where will the library physically reside? The computer or Nucleus?
  4. The computer has a Blu-ray CD rom with DBPoweramp installed that I have used for years. Can I still rip to the hard drive even though it will not be connected to the computer? Will the computer be able to see the hard drive since it will be plugged into the Nucleus, or will I have to use a USB hub to connect the hard drive simultaneously to the Nucleus and computer?
  5. Similar concept as question 4: I use Backblaze backup and restore service. Will Backblaze be able to recognize the hard drive’s existence if it is plugged into the Nucleus?
  6. May I assume that I would not have to have Roon up and running on the computer to play music if I control Roon from an IPad? Could the computer even be powered off?

Yes, the Nucleus is just a computer. It will use the same connection type as your other computer.

You don’t need to uninstall Roon to use a new Nucleus. The Nucleus comes with Roon installed. Just set the Nucleus as your Roon Server in Settings. If your computer is going into the shop, then that’s a different consideration.

If you mean your music files that are on the stand alone drive, then just hook that drive up to the USB port on the Nucleus and point to that drive in Roon’s Settings. Roon’s library, i.e. database, will be on the Nucleus.

Yes and no. The Nucleus exposes a network connection to any attached hard drive but I think that is past your skill set. It will be easier to disconnect the drive from the Nucleus, connected it to the other computer and work with the files there, including using dBPoweramp. When done connect the drive back up to the Nucleus. The Nucleus can only run Roon and no other software.

That isn’t advisable or even possible.

Yes, BackBlaze running on your other computer should recognize a networked drive on the Nucleus. Setting up a network drive will be a problem for you without some handholding (see answer above). Setting up a networked drive from the Nucleus is a topic for another time; let’s get the Nucleus up and running first.

Edit: On reflection, I am not sure BackBlaze will update a networked drive that is on a computer that BackBlaze is not running on. There are plenty of alternatives. I use GoodSync.

Roon runs on the Nucleus. If your hard drive with the music files is connected to the Nucleus, then yes. As far as Roon goes, your other computer becomes irrelevant.

Thank you, but you may need to contact your own tech support. Three times I went into the Roon Store, selected a Nucleus without hard drive, clicked add to cart, and three times it just sat there and did nothing. Your program is not functioning.

My program works fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, I did a test and was able to add a Nucleus to my cart.

Roon @support, help this guy out, huh?

1 Like

Do not purchase a Nucleus.

What problem are you trying to solve? And how will buying a Nucleus solve it?

Unless and until you clearly identify those important considerations, a Nucleus for you is likely to end up being just another computer running Roon that you really do not understand how it works or why it does not do what you want it to do.

Additionally, you said previously that you have multichannel DSF files? Do you understand that those are DSD?

AJ

.dsf files are DSD files. It is about playing those files back while using DSP, nothing to do with creating files. The transformation of dsf files to PCM takes cpu power. What computer are you using now and with what CPU? If you are using a computer with an i5 or an i7 CPU, then go with the Nucleus+.

Number of tracks is important, over 100k tracks, then steer towards a Nucleus+.

But, really the previous poster nailed it. If you have a functioning system that is setup, why do you want to go to a Nucleus? What issues do you want to solve or benefit gained? There is no SQ difference

The beginning -

@Dennis_Brandt

Also, you should not be using HDMI for Roon, you should be utilizing the network input according to Trinnov.

See this post…

I did all the things several of you have suggested, but nothing has worked.

1. I could get Roon to work on my dedicated Windows 10 music server, although it had intermittent issues times on playback. (Then the blasted thing started getting blue screens of death after I updated drivers, most of which are the standard Microsoft Windows fare.) When I get it back from the shop, I’ll try again.
  2. Even if I get the computer to work with the core, I could never get my IPad to connect to the network despite the fact that it recognized the core’s proper location and the computer’s IP address. It connected occasionally but mostly did not. My IPad is brand new, up-to-date on firmware, and operates several network systems with no issues whatever, including the Trinnov processor. I deleted and re-loaded Roon Remote from the App Store four times.
  3. And I just tried to add Nucleus to my cart on Roon Store and once more the system hung. This issue is NOT my computer. I accessed Roon Store from my main computer, a powerful Windows 11 machine that is working flawlessly in all regards.

Failure has so far been the order of the day with regard to Roon. I have been messing with this for a month and still can’t sit down and enjoy music. I realize there were facets of Roon I did/do not understand, but I have downloaded soft/firmware for more than three decades and have never experienced this level of problems. I’m paying for software that just isn’t working.

If you hope that a Nucleus will somehow solve your problems, I doubt that will be the case. All of this points to network issues. I would focus on trying to fix your connection issues first. Once that’s out of the way, you can reconsider a Nucleus is worth getting.

2 Likes

Would you like to elucidate , I have used JRiver for over 10 yrs without a blip, I now use it alongside Roon

There is no reason why you cannot use the Windows PC as you Roon Core , your library is relatively small at 30k . First guess is did you allow the Windows Firewall to allow the 2 x Roon programs through.

How computer savvy are you ?, are you up to changing Windows Settings etc, if you are we can walk you through the process.

I suspect a Nucleus at this stage may be overkill until you basic problems are resolved.

Out of interest JRiver and Roon cohabitate well, I used a sever with both running for many years , I still run JRiver for video and occasional audio.

I have no other issues with my network, so I am skeptical when you say the network is at fault. If I had issues, why would all other network-based applications work? My firewall is Norton 360, not Windows Defender.

As you can see from the questions I have asked, I am not a computer tech guru and, frankly, hate working with the technical aspects. I just want it to work. There always could be a driver problem, of course, which is why I was updating all my drivers per the suggestion of Norton. It was only after that failed attempt that my Windows computer began its endless blue screen death march.

I’m curious. Does JRiver function via ethernet? I only use it for audio.

Thanks for the suggestions.