NUC's fan noise is disturbing

Sean thank you, I will check the bios and then if I can’t solve it I will look for a fanless case.

1 Like

Suitable for NUC5i5RYH:

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless%20Chassis&type_sub=Fanless%20NUC&model=A-NUC23-A1B

1 Like

Can fully recommend the Akasa Turing case.

The Turing case is designed for the 8th generation of Intel NUCs. Efe has a 5th generation NUC…

1 Like

Whoops, missed that essential bit of info.

Simply NUC has a selection of fanless NUCs. I’m VERY pleased with mine.

https://simplynuc.com/nuc-products/#fanless

Hi, I had the same problem with my NUC D33217GKE and ordered Akasa case (AK-ITX07-BK) only for 20$ new one from USA. Plus shipping cost to Russia.
You can google com[ability Akasa PDF table for your NUC model. I spend 2 hour to change orig case to funless. Good luck!

It is recommended by Roon to split the core and the output between separate devices. I have a NUC (7i5BNH) that I had doing both roles for a while. Even with ROCK, which is likely the least noisy of the OS options you have, it was still audible on default fan settings and too much for me to cope with in my listening environment. I’ve since adopted a new endpoint (old iPhone 5 with CCK and a Dragonfly Red) and banished the core to my server closet. Problem solved…

There is the fan noise, but there is also electric noise from the actual computing the NUC does (least with ROCK since it is optimized specifically to do this, a bit more with Windows and other Linux distro’s), which -depending on the quality of the components down the line- might end up polluting your signal as well. Even if you eliminate the fan noise with for example a fanless case, you still have the digital noise. You can get rid of it with a direct connection, with some form of galvanic isolation, but it’s far easier and usually more economical to split the endpoint to a dedicated, preferably specifically engineered device…

Hope you find a solution that works for you…

https://www.cirrus7.com/produkte/cirrus7-nimbini-v2/overview

Try these, 100% silent, the best audio streaming computer available today, made in Germany
No fan’s, no noise!

1 Like

Why not just move the NUC out of the listening room as already suggested. spending money on a fan-less chassis. It is not a scalable solution.
Never understood why the default thinking is that it is best to have the Core in the hifi rack.

1 Like

The only reason to do this is to save a box (renderer), but I think Roon recommends an Ethernet connected renderer, with the server elsewhere. An Ethernet endpoint has several advantages such as galvanic isolation and a more descriptive signal path.

I looked for a while for a fanless case for my NUC7I7BNH but never really found anything. In the end I left it where is was, in an internal cupboard in a spare room. You can hear it if you really try when you go into the room. I have recently switched from ROCK to windows 10 so I can run both Roon and HQ Player on the same machine, I also wanted to keep an eye on the temps. All seems fine, no major temps and not that noisy. It connects across Ethernet to a number of end points. Nevertheless, I do keep half an eye out for a nice case, even if it makes no actual sense to buy one! Mind you, most of my hifi purchases don’t make much sense!!

2 Likes

I have bought two of these for my NUC7i5BNK and i7. They work great and are very slightly warm to the touch. For around $100 they are a steal. Plus no noise from a fan,which can’t be good for the sound.

Akasa Plato X7 Fanless case for 7th Generation Intel NUC Board (A-NUC37-M1B)

by Akasa

[ 4.7 out of 5 stars ](javascript:void(0)) 5 customer reviews

Price: $91.29 + $21.04 Shipping

Turn the volume up

1 Like

Do you put an i7 in that case? I know originally Akasa advertised it for use with the i7 chip but then removed it and they only rate for an i5 now. I run Roon and HQ Player together on a Windows 10 NUC and I don’t think it can dissipate the heat or at least that is what Akasa appeared to be saying. How are your temps when using the case? Under heavy load my NUC tops out around 91C, but that seems to be fairly short lived when upscaling content via HQ Player, right now its sitting at late 30’sC.

@Efe_Cakir
I had a similar problem with 7i5 nuc. Even though it all looked clean/dust free, when I took it apart and took the top off it, there was a lot of build up inside which I blew away to settle the problem. However, it very quickly built up again (my house is not too dirty!), so I ended up getting a fanless case which looks much nicer and has been problem free. Akasa Newton.

I do not run HQ Player and am not knowledgeable enough to determine the temp of the cpu while running the “Rock” software. I can say that running Rock on a NUC (powered by a HDPlex LPS) is cleaner, easier, cooler and more stable than my Win 10 fanless computer. IMO an all around better solution as a dedicated Roon Core Music distribution system. I did use a high quality thermal compound (Master-gel Maker) rather than what was in the Akasa kit for my NUC installs.

Hi @William_Koch - thanks for coming back. I did run ROCK for about 12 months on my NUC and it was really very easy to get on with, however I did not upgrade the power supply. I switched to Windows 10 so I could run Roon and HQ Player on the same machine which it does very well. I use a free bit of software called Team Viewer which means I can log back into the NUC remotely from my office Win10 machine, and I then use a bit of software called Core Temp to measure the current temperature. I just wanted to get an idea of what was going on as I didnt want the NUC running blisteringly hot as it is in an internal house cupboard!

HQ Player has made quite a difference to the sound quality for me. I wonder whether I should think about the PSU, would you recommend the HD Plex LPS for the NUC?