OK Roon, time to fix the port bug

Please, no debates about router configuration. We are allowed to choose our risks and not have others imposed upon us.

This ARC bug whereby Roon by default opens a port on your router, and even if you change the port to “0,” each time a remote opens, it reopens the port, has to be fixed. It’s not a feature request!

This is a security issue and leaving it like this is negligence. The closed setting should stick.

Love Roon, but let’s please not be negligent. You’re on notice.

I agree with you

But, I also question why you leave UPnP enabled on your router while this “bug” exists (or at all)?

Maybe an answer to that question will help put priority on this.

I will occasionally use Plex, and then close the port when I’m back home. Plex asks and the setting sticks, so it’s not an issue.

Roon, I keep forgetting to check after opening remote software. It just shouldn’t do that. It seems it shouldn’t be a terribly complex fix, but in any case it’s been out there long enough.

Got it.

If it were me I’d enable / disable the snat rules on my router, disable upnp, and then leave the ports in place on Roon and plex.

I have no idea why updates would overwrite a “0” config object. Although, I don’t think this ever became an official way to turn off ARC. I don’t think there has ever been an official way to turn off ARC. Maybe that’s the holdup. But I’ve never been thrilled with Roons decision to turn on ARC by default.

I still agree, this is a bug and needs an answer. Although a security bug, with a workaround, I’d use the workaround.

I run productive and early-access cores and no such things happens here. Turned off stays off for both servers. Also no message about “Roon ARC is configured” in Roon settings.

PS: Roon showing the “default” port in settings instead of the current configured one (zero) is something Roon Labs knows since the start of that feature and they seem to not care about it at all – but that isn’t a security issue/risk at all.

Not this again.
I thought it was a bug too, it was discussed at length, you need to adjust your router settings which is where permission is set.
It’s not a bug.

1 Like

It’s a bug unless it doesn’t actually open the port by default. And even then, it’s poorly done if it implies a port is open.

Just because I can put a wood block under the wheel of my car to keep it from rolling away doesn’t mean the dealer shouldn’t fix the parking break.

If your router settings are such that you allow software to open upnp ports, then you allow software to open upnp ports. If your router settings do not allow the opening of upnp ports, software will not be able to open upnp ports.

The responsibility here is yours.

If you know your parking brake is slipping, the only recourse is to deal with it responsibly and have it repaired properly, relying on a block of wood would be ridiculous, a bit like relying on software to not poke a hole through your router when your router settings are such that they can.

3 Likes

I’m afraid @James_I doesn’t see it that way, I tried :innocent:

1 Like

Same here. However, I have UPnP turned off on my router, and simply enable or disable a port forwarding rule as and when needed. Security is my responsibility.

To suggest this is a bug is a big stretch, especially since no port is opened if zero is selected, even after a remote restart. Did you check that the port was reopened?

Maybe your router has a bug because UPnP is enabled by default?

I haven’t checked that. Either way it is a bug, because it should be reflected as closed if it really is closed.

I understand that I can control my router…I simply do not see that as supporting the position that Roon doesn’t need to correct how ARC displays the port configuration and why it reverts when any remote is opened. At the very least, it causes confusion, and at worst, a security issue.

The fact that Roon assumed everyone would want ARC active is a bit presumptuous.

1 Like

That’s because, in a very short stretch, it’s just a plain stupid design decision (not to have a switch to fully disable it). It would have cost roon 3 lines of code…

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

Other

Disabling Roon ARC (Port 0) doesn't stick...

This is not a feature request, it is a bug that should be eliminated.