Okto Research DAC8 Stereo with Ropieee XL

Hello there,

the DAC has a built-in Raspberry Pi running the latest Ropieee XL. I can see the correct Roon Bridge in Roon but I don’t see an audio output to select in the audio settings. The DAC/Pi is connected via LAN to a router, which in turn is connected via LAN to the Core.

Any advise on how to make the DAC appear in Roon?

EDIT: It works, I needed to activate “Audio USB” in Ropieee -I think.

Next question: how can I sync Roon’s volume with the DAC?

1 Like

Happy with the DAC performance? What did you replace?

Hello Mike,

yes, I am happy with the performance. I haven’t done any A/B tests with my exaSound e20 mk3 (with 0.82fs clock) since I lack the necessary equipment. So do not put too much value into my comments, but I “think” that the dac8 sounds more “volumetric”. It seems to me like the speakers are harder to locate.

Since based on the measurements of the dac8 I was not expecting the DAC to sound worse than the e20, the main buying trigger have been LAN and USB inputs, Roon & Airplay support and that I no longer need to turn on my HTPC in order to listen to music (the e20 has been connected via USB to the HTPC, which in turn is connected via LAN to my server).

Currently I have my pair of active speakers hooked up directly to the dac8 (they benefit from the 4.1V output). The USB input is fed via a HTPC, which I use for watching movies (might replace it with an AppleTV shortly).

Unfortunately the answer to my above question (volume sync with Roon) seems to be that this -at least now- is not possible. I’d be mainly interested in the synchronization via LAN, so it seems like that would somehow also need to involve Ropieee. As far as I understand Roonlabs and Ropieee would need to come to terms before that would happen…

exaSound has a River Volume sync plugin for their DACs, so with some nifty settings, I was able to sync volume between my e20, Roon and Windows/JRemote/JRiver. Unfortunately I have now lost this functionality, the main bummer being no possibility to sync between Roon and the dac8.
However, I decided for now that the benefits I gain outweigh the lack of volume synchronization.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions.