On the Road. Weeks away in a Motorhome

Home system is a Nuc with music on a NAS (1½TB). A smallish selection of the library is converted to AAC/MP3 and copied to my iPhone for travel and holidays.
We’re now thinking about life on the road in a motorhome.
Any ideas to how I could take the full library on the road for several weeks?

Roon Arc if you have set it up yet.

2 Likes

copy all your music to a portable 3TB HDD. Connect via USB to a laptop and use some sort of library/player program (don’t use windows media player!). I use foobar2000 on my windows laptop. To play, either connect to your motorhome audio system with direct wire (maybe from a small USB DAC connected to your laptop, such as a dragonfly) or via bluetooth.

the advantage of this, is no internet needed for music. Just power.

2 Likes

I have ARC set up, left Florida two weeks ago for a one month trip to Europe and so far ARC has been working fine.

Thanks Stephen,
It’s an option, but it’ll hit the SIM card roaming data allowance. Plus, for me, I’ve found ARC to be unreliable. But it’s definitely one solution.

AceRimmer,
Have ARC set up but it never seems to work when I need it. Plus it’s data heavy.

You could offline/download on the Arc app.

However, as @garym above have mentioned, just to be on the safe side, take a full copy of your library with you, more so if your time on the road is lengthy.

Set your cores bios settings to turn on after a power outage.

Install Roon on a laptop and copy your music to a USB HDD or SSD. Also, get lots of cellular hotspot data. I have 160 GB with Verizon (2 iPhones and 2 iPads), and stream everything from Tidal and Qobuz. I also use Speedify to squeeze out throttled data when one iPad or the other runs out of non-throttled data.

2 Likes

That’s also my strategy when on the road.

Even very doubtful internet has been enough to log in (although not stream).

I am very fortunate, even though I live in the lighting capital, my electricity and cable is very reliable. I do like the hard drive idea because it is totally self sufficient, 100% reliable and always available. I will do the hard drive option next time as a back up. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself. The problem with ARC for me, is if my network goes down, the router could assign my NAS with the Core a different IP address, then ARC will be dead until I return to fix it. Enjoy you journey! I retired in April and have loved every minute of it.

1 Like

If it helps anyone, I use a 1tb Samsung 980 m.2 on a sleek, metal caddy and it fits nicely on my wallet, Inc cables. Read/write speeds are good.

It’s connected to my Windows (normally use Ubuntu Server) machine which currently has my Roon Server (core) running. Rip straight to that from CD or download straight to it. Unplug and go.

Samsung (MZ-V8V1T0B/AM) 980 SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology https://amzn.eu/d/0cnLEuy

FIDECO M.2 NVME SATA SSD Enclosure, PCIe USB 3.2, Gen2 SSD Adapter with 10Gbps Transfer Rate, Hard Drive Enclosure for 2230 2242 2260 2280 M.2 NVME/SATA SSD of M-Key or M+B Key, Support UASP https://amzn.eu/d/fCjvxz2

We used to go camping a lot so following my KISS principal, I have a 1 TB SD card in my Samsung phone , USB Player Pro and a BeoPlay A1 Bluetooth speaker and a pair of Sony HW 1000 WH4 phones

Covers most eventualities even if not true Hi Fi the acoustics in a tent are quite poor !!:smiling_imp:

2 Likes