On this day . .

As the topic states, this is a catchall for items of note, preferably, but not at all limited to, music events that occurred in the past on this day.
I.E.

16/02/1991 - The Simpsons

The Simpsons were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Do The Bartman’. The song was written by Michael Jackson and Bryan Lorenand, The Simpsons became the first cartoon characters to make No.1 since the Archies hit ‘Sugar Sugar’ in 1969. Jackson was a massive fan of The Simpsons and had called the producers one night offering to write Bart a number one single and do a guest spot on the show.

or

9 Likes

3 Likes

22/02/1971

2 Likes

The album track Boogie With Stu is credited to John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Ian Stewart and… Mrs Valens. Mrs Valens is the mother of the late Ritchie Valens, whose 1959 track Ooh My Head ‘inspired’ Boogie With Stu. We’ll let Jimmy Page explain the rest…

“When we were up at Headley Grange recording Physical Graffiti, Ian Stewart [the Rolling Stones’ unofficial keyboard player] came by and we started to jam. The jam turned into Boogie With Stu, which was obviously a variation on Ooh My Head by the late Ritchie Valens, which itself was actually a variation of Little Richard’s Ooh My Soul.”

“What we tried to do was give Ritchie’s mother credit, because we heard she never received any royalties from any of her son’s hits, and Robert did lean on that lyric a bit. So what happens? They tried to sue us for all of the song! We had to say bugger off.”

3 Likes

I put it under off-topic for a little latitude. :slight_smile:

25/02/1964
On this day in 1964, a 22-year-old Cassius Clay defeated Sonny Liston to claim his first world heavyweight title.

4 Likes

I wish this thread was here on Feb 9 so I could post Feb 9, 1964. Probably the most important day in rock history in the USA.

Normally I would not break the thread, but 9 feb in my birthday :slight_smile:, so what was the event?

It was the beginning of everything.

1 Like

Beatles in America and on the Ed Sullivan Show I would think. Didn’t see it live as i don’t think the family even had a TV in '64 and i was too young to remember, but plenty of clips of it over the years.

1 Like

That is so true for me.

3 Likes

I watched with my new 15 year old girlfriend of two months at her house, my MIL’s house I’m sitting at now. We started “going steady” 5 days later and married 4 1/2 years later. I already had this album and was drumming to it.

Two months later 4 of us did a Beatles impersonation at school, then added another member and formed a band. The rest is history. I think I’m the only one still living. Four originals plus 3 others gone.

beatles_front (3)

5 Likes

Always a way to bring things back on topic ;-). Mark Knopfler, Shangri-La released in September 2004, but was recorded in February 2004.

“Song for Sonny Liston” could have been recorded on this date in 2004.

3 Likes
1 Like

50 years ago today.

5 Likes