One album split into two & I just cannot fix it!

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Amending metadata

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Yes, also in Tag Editor

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local

Screenshot of import settings

All import settings are set to use file data.

Description of the issue

Just when I think I’m completely up to speed with Roon basics, something comes along to trip me up.

So, I had a home made compilation from a few years ago & I noticed one of the tracks had become corrupted. So, I deleted the offending track & went back to my lossless rip of the album I took it from, copied a fresh AIF into the compilation, re-tagged everything & Bob’s your uncle!

Except, it resolutely refuses to make the new track part of the original album!

Here is how it looks in my tagging software. (Track 4 is the track in question.)

Here is how it looks in Roon…

One album is missing track 4:

One album is only track 4:

This is how the files look in my finder:

I’ve quit & restarted Roon, I’ve rescanned both albums from within their respective “edit” panels, I’ve rescanned the storage device several times, I’ve cleared the cache, I’ve removed the item, re-started Roon & re-added the album. I just comes back in as two albums.

I’m completely lost as to what I need to do to get this the way it appears it should be.

As always, I expect it to be something very obvious that I don’t yet know about.

Do your worst! :slight_smile:

In the album browser, select both then click the three dots at the top of the screen and select “Edit …” as below.

In the next dialog click “Merge Albums” …

Assuming everything is in order, on the next screen click the “Crete album” button at the bottom right:

That should fix it. If not, report back as there is another way to sort this out but it will delete your play counts for the album, so it’s not ideal.

3 Likes

Select both by long-clicking, BTW.

2 Likes

That worked perfectly, thank you.

As always, the answer was staring me right in the face, I just didn’t realise it was possible to shift select more than one album. I was looking in the track grouping options from within one album & wondering how you “pull in” the tracks from the other album.

Any idea what might’ve been causing it?

(Play counts are not something I ever have, or probably ever will, pay any attention to, so the other method would also have been fine, by the way.)

I’ve had the same issue in the past, when editing a single track using an external editor. Even though I’ve been fairly sure I haven’t changed anything that could confuse Roon, tracks have been split out from their original album.

The only thing I can think of is that, having merged the two albums, it lost its “original release date” & I had to re-enter it, so maybe that bit of info being twisted somehow was the thing that divided them.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When this sort of issue occurs, I always cut the folder from Room watched folders. Amend metadata as necessary in mp3tag to ensure it is identical for all files. Clean the Roon database, then re-add the folder to a watched folder. Roon’s memory of track and album associations can be sticky unless you wipe its memory of the files first (Settings|Library|Library Maintenance - Clean Up Library).
No idea why this happens but it has been happening since I started using Roon over 4 years ago.

Yeah, I did all that. At least I thought I did.

When you say “watched folder” you mean the hard drive that my library is on, I assume?

:slight_smile:

You didn’t mention Cleaning Up The Library. This is the key step, otherwise Roon recognises all the deleted tracks and just puts them back where they were (as it assumes you just moved them).

1 Like

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

The thing is, I’m very new to Roon & there are all sorts of things that seem to me to be spread all over the place & not in a logical place, so I listed the steps I could remember off the top of my head.

So, let’s see…

In Settings > Storage I forced a re-scan of my hard drive.

In Set Up I cleared the image cache.

In Library I cleaned up the library (sorry I missed that one)

Plus I did all the removing & restarting & putting back, etc.

There was one other album where I simply could not get it sorted, so I just put everything Roon was seeing into a folder outside of my library. :man_shrugging:t2:

Apologies for not being more thorough but yes, I definitely did that. What I may not have done is to do those things in the sequence you suggest, so I shall be sure to come back to your reply next time it happens.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.