Onkyo A-9010 Unsure how to use with Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Onkyo A-9010 / 2013 iMac Pro 1tb

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

My amp is not able to connect to the internet

I currently use my phone to connect to my amp, from 3.55mm to RCA.

Description Of Issue

I was intrigued whetehr Roon could be useful to me but I have come to realise my amp does not connect to the internet, I have a new pair of speakers that I would love to use via your service but I’m not sure how I would go about it. If you could help me I would be very grateful on how I could set up and use your app.

Thank you

Hi, Jack.

I’m not support, just another user.

But I do run an Onkyo amp, in my case a receiver, a TX-8050. Your very nice amp only has analogue inputs, so you’ll need to add both a “streamer” (this is the piece that talks to Roon over the network, and gets the bits from the Roon core), and a D/A converter (often called a DAC) to turn the bits into analogue signals.

The very simplest and cheapest thing to use is a Google Chromecast audio, which does both of these things. Unfortunately, it’s discontinued, so you may need to look around to find one for sale. Back in the day, it sold for $35.

At a higher price point would be a Raspberry Pi -based endpoint, with a D/A converter “hat”. Like this IQaudio hat. There are a number of them, and lots of opinions on the list about them. But you can assemble this solution for about $100.

Finally, a full-kit solution would be something like the Node-2i, at $500.

Welcome to the forum, @Jack_Howe.

Adding to @Bill_Janssen’s post, you may like to take a look at the ROON READY non-official list or Roon Labs: Partners.

You would profit from studying the Roon Knowledge Base about Roon Architecture.

1 Like

Is your phone on a network at home?
If so, simplest way to “try it now” would be to install the trial version of Roon on your iMac and the remote on your phone, then connect the phone to your amp and send music to the phones zone in Roon. This is obviously not ideal, but it get you a way to try it without having to buy any hardware, yet… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Jack_Howe,

In addition to what @Bill_Janssen wrote, the A-9010 has actually two digital inputs (optical and coaxial) using a DAC (WM8718) from Wolfson you can use too. This means, that you can use one of the Network bridge (digital otput) products from the ROON READY non-official list that @Martin_Webster already linked.

PS: The Google Chromecast Audio is still at sale afaik. I use mine with a Amazon Ethernet Adapter to connect it to the LAN. You can use it’s analogue or it’s digital optical output (with extra Toslink to Mini Toslink adapter).

Fascinating. I was going from the What Hi-Fi review, which says there are no digital inputs (and shows the back plate with no digital inputs). However, the Onkyo data sheet clearly shows digital inputs. In which case all Jack needs is a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee.

I think he needs an extra HAT for the Pi to provide a digital audio output, or am I wrong?

No, you’re right.

Thank you all for your input and help, I’m very much a rookie in the audio field but I’m doing all I can to enjoy music in the best way, day by day.

All the very best!

Jack

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.