Onkyo DP-X1 - unclean Roon playback

Hi Ashley, my DP-X1 has Android 5.1.1 installed and system update does not find any further updates, it says “Your system is up to date.”

Thanks for checking, @UliR.

When you play files outside of Roon, do you experience crackling?

Do you notice any patterns on the type of files being played in Roon? If you go to Roon Settings → Services → Qobuz → Streaming Quality and lower the quality of the stream, do you still experience crackling when playing the files?

@ashley, the update is for the DP-S1. That is another device.

The crackles are only in Roon, no matter if it is local content or streamed content. No crackles using the Qobuz app or the native Onkyo app for micro SD card content. Sorry, but it is a „Roon only“ problem… And I do not use Qobuz and Roon to lower the streaming quality - sorry.

Possibly the DAP is just too old to work reasonably with Roon. That would be a pity, but I would just like to know what the problem is. Since all other endpoints that use WiFi work without dropouts, it is quite frustrating.

Regards
Uli

Roon is hopeless on Android if SRC can’t be bypass, I am using Pioneer XDP-300R basically same machine as DP-X1 but no distortion. And it’s Android 4.1.1 machine won’t get update anymore, so just use as DAP and nothing more.

1 Like

@UliR - you are correct, I apologize for mistaking the firmware update - I misread the title of the device on the firmware page.

Unfortunately, we do not have this device available to try and reproduce the issue, but we do have another step for you to try; we’ll ask that you try setting the max bit per sample rate to 16-bit.

You’ll go to the device setup page for the Onkyo → Advanced → Max bits per sample (PCM) → change to 16

Does that improve the crackling issue?

I truly appreciate your patience during this process :pray:t3:

@Cheung_Hon_Wah - Thank you very much for your feedback!

@ashley, sample rate is set to 16-bit now. Still crackling. A hopeless case. :frowning:
Thanks again. I think I’m giving up hope of being able to use the Onkyo with Roon. I will stick to my iPhone and a connected AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt for Roon and use the Onkyo only for the content stored on the micro SD cards.
Puzzling.

@ashley: just started testing with the new Roon 1.8 Build 880 - first impression: fewer or no crackles.

:slight_smile:

I will be doing some extended listening sessions this coming weekend…
Regards - Uli

2 Likes

Awesome to hear! So glad that it improved with the update! I hope it’s smooth sailing from here! :relaxed:

I tested it intensively this evening - unfortunately, the Roon app still only runs with dropouts on my Onkyo DP-X1. Too bad, my initial assessment was probably too optimistic.

So - no solution. Sorry about that. :slightly_frowning_face:

Switched to iPhone / iPad and AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt for mobile Roon use. Requires an ugly adapter, but sounds and works very well. It’s a pity about the Onkyo DAP, which now has to lie unused in the drawer and will only serve as a device for pure “offline use”. And of course for the use with the Qobuz app, which works smoothly.

@UliR thanks so much for providing us with an update, I’m so sorry that the device continued to experience dropouts, even with our suggestions. It is bitter-sweet, to know that this continued to happen but that you were able to find other devices that work properly. We appreciate you giving that a try and hope that the new setup continues to work well.

Certainly, let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future!

@ashley - I had not originally bought the player with the intention of using it with Roon. However, I had hopes that it would work. But it’s just the way it is now and since there is an alternative, it’s not a drama. Best regards!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.