Only WiFi in apartment, Nucleus connection options?

Roon Core Machine

roon Nucleus +
Simaudio Moon 680D

Networking Gear & Setup Details

No router, no modem, no ethernet cables currently in my system. WiFi only with a private connection and access point centrally located on ceiling. No VPN. New building with fiber internet and 500mbps speeds. My DAC is operating with no issues on WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

Looking to stream hi-res Tidal and play music on my Nucleus hard drive.

Number of Tracks in Library

Less than 50 tracks.

Description of Issue

Just moved to a new building in 600 SF apartment. Wondering if my roon Nucleus is obsolete with WiFi only and no ability for a wired connection. My speeds are faster than I had before and been flawless. I’m more than willing to purchase whatever I need to get roon up and running, but confused on what to buy and how to implement. Mesh appears to be wired (not really sure) and I don’t read good things about extenders. Simaudio has a streaming app but obviously not the same experience. I appreciate the assistance and advice.

Thank you,
Daniel

See this post / thread.

But if you have a strong WiFI signal you may be fine.

UniFi’s free WiFiman app (iOS / Andriod) should be able to give you an idea of your current WiFi throughput. Note: it’s only your local WiFI network you want to test, your external bandwidth / thoughput is irrelevant.

If your getting over 300MBps then you can probably use a ‘WiFi Range Extender’ which will connect to your network as if it were a regular WiFi device and expose an ethernet port into which you can plug your Nucleus.

All the major home network manufactures like TP-Link and Netgear sell them, but something like this or this, depending on whether your current WiFi is 5 or 6 (again the Wifiman app above should be able to tell you that). And ideally from somewhere that accepts easy returns in case it doesn’t work for you or you find it too tricky to setup.

To improve stability / throughput:

• Turn off the WiFi radios on the extender itself if possible. You only need the extender to bridge the devices ethernet port to your current WiFi network, you don’t need or want to extend your WiFi network.
  • If you can’t turn them off, give the extended WiFi networks a unique name (SSI) and don’t connect any of your other devices to these networks.
  • Use the 5GHz option to connect back to your current WiFi network / router. This might be labelled ‘Fast Lane’ or ‘High Speed mode’ in the manual.

I would look for a “Wireless Bridge” (Wifi to ethernet adapter) as opposed to an “WiFi extender”.
Bridges are specifically designed for what you are trying to do without the hassle of the “WiFi extender” part. They are used to add printers and other wired devices to WiFi networks.

Here is a Linksys article explaining it and listing a few models:

“BrosTrend AC1200 WiFi to Ethernet Adapter” is one that I found on Amazon. I have no experience with this brand. so WMMV and all that.

Despite my post above, I’d agree with @bearFNF here, in that a “Wireless Bridge” device will be simpler to setup as they’re designed to do exactly what you need.

The reason I didn’t suggest one originally is because I couldn’t find a current model from one of the well known networking brands. So no ability to take advantage of WiFi6 if your router / WiFi provider supported it. My guess is they have largely dropped them in favour of ‘Range Extenders’ as most devices like TV sets and printers now have WiFI built-in nowadays and the extenders serve the same purpose, albeit with a wireless access point built in. That’s not to say they don’t make them, just that they not as prevalent as they once were.

I have no experience of the device or brand, but that BrosTrend adaptor that Bear mentions above would on paper do what you need. My only proviso would be that the brand is a bit of an unknown quantity, although the reviews on Amazon don’t seem too bad and you can always send it back if it turns out to be flaky.

1 Like

Actually it looks like the “BrosTrend AC1200 WiFi to Ethernet Adapter” is actually a 'WiFI Range Extender” under the hood and that you can’t even turn off the WiFi radio / repeater function :confused:

Which could be problematic as you don’t want your regular devices (like your phone or laptop) connecting wirelessly to the extender.

So maybe better to go with something like this Netgear which does allow you to turn of the WiFi radios (page 23 - Disable or Enable the WiFi Radios).

1 Like

Thank you for the responses, I learned a great deal. I will give the extender a try with the radios turned off. That’s essentially a bridge in my mind without anything competing. I presume turning the radios off will prevent devices from wirelessly connecting to the extender, however the extender will still have a Wi-Fi connection back to the access point.

I will add my results once tested as It might be helpful for someone else. Really hope this works…

1 Like

Hello.

I changed the mode of my Asus router (RT-AX88U) to media bridge and upon reboot the Roon remote did find the Nucleus core.

It would not connect unfortunately or allow me to select connect. It eventually loses the core and goes back to searching indefinitely.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this issue? I have not tried the extender because I thought my router would serve the same purpose.

I would check the subnet (192.254.177.xxx) of the Nucleus+ and make sure it is the same as the other devices on the network. Make sure the asus is not serving up a separate DHCP IP range (might need to manually assign IPS?).

You may need to reset the network settings on the Nucleus+ if it had a static IP or it has not “renewed” it’s IP in the new network?

I have reset my nucleus network settings via HDMI and monitor. The media bridge setup instructions state it must be two ASUS routers. I’ll take that as a requirement and move on to a different plan.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.