OpenGL Error on startup

Did you install the intel graphics package from acer? Or just checked whether the graphics driver installed by windows was up to date?

Looks like your laptop has a GL 2.1 GPU. I guess the question is what version Roon needs. If it needs higher then that would be a problem.
Looking at the error though GL_ARB_framebuffer_object already appears in 1.1.

Intel didn’t gave a newer driver to install when I asked for updates.

Any advice what to do next?

Download latest driver from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=gma+4500mhd and run that setup.

Roon need OpenGL 3.0

@mike can confirm this.

but @brian says “We require OpenGL 2.0 as a bare minimum”

It’s definitely 3.0. If it says 2.0 somewhere, it’s a typo.

How can I find out if something is OpenGL 3.0 compliant?

I tried installation on an Acer Aspire 1810T (Mobile Intel® 4 Series Chipset Family)and on a Sony Vaio VGN-CR11S (Mobile Intel® 965 Chipset Family). Both gave the OpenGL Error. Now I try on another Acer (Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family) and now I get the message “This account is no longer eligible for a trial”.
How can I proceed?

I’m afraid you’re stuck with your current hardware: all three laptops you mention use chipsets over 7 years old and are showing their age now. On top of that, all three are equipped with traditionally weak Intel mobile/integrated graphics – none of them will support anything over OpenGL 2.1 (as rovinggecko already mentioned).

Roon is modern, cutting edge software that is somewhat demanding on your hardware. I’m sorry to say, but my guess is that Roon will not run on any of your current laptops, and that you will need to upgrade to something using beefier graphics hardware.

As for the ‘no longer eligible’ prompt – I’m sure one of the Roon guys can sort you out when attempting to install on more current hardware.

You can check on Wikipedia what the OpenGL support is for your various chipsets.
My quick scan shows none of the ones you own support OpenGL 3.0. You need a chipset that is from 2011 or more recent.

As @RBM nicely worded, the price of the shiny Roon UI is the need for recent graphics hardware. Roon has set the bar in this Recommended Hardware post

I have the same problem.

@Not_Roon team

I am going to buy a new computer (mac mini) to install Roon. So far I tried on two older machines where I got the OpenGL Error. On a third machine I got the message “This account is no longer eligible for a trial”.
Danny or another member of the team can you arrange that I can install Roon and that my trial period will start after that?

If you’re going the Mac mini route and if you’re going to run the mini headless (without monitor attached), be sure to add this little gizmo: http://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6

It tricks your mini into believing there is a monitor attached, and you’ll get a much improved display performance while controlling the machine through VNC or Remote Desktop.

@RBM

Thanks. I will try to find one.

@RBM
The Mac mini route is to expensive: the change of the HDD into a SSD is complicated and expensive. Furthermore the Compulab Display Emulator are not available in Europ at the moment. My next option is an HP Envy x360 15-u240nd.
Please can you confirm [quote=“pieterdvr, post:29, topic:577”]
On a third machine I got the message “This account is no longer eligible for a trial”.Danny or another member of the team can you arrange that I can install Roon and that my trial period will start after that?
[/quote]

Pieterdvr

Would this adapter be any good?

Russ

@pieterdvr If you can source one, a used 2011 or 2012 Mac mini (i5 of i7) would fit the bill quite nicely. In these models, it’s quite easy to fit an aftermarket SSD yourself and upgrade RAM if necessary. I ordered the Compulab directly from Amazon USA to the Netherlands for a total of €21,30 incl. shipping.

@Ratbert The Newertech display port adapter is slightly buggy and works less well overall. See also: http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/72706369716/an-hdmi-adapter-for-a-headless-mac-mini

@RBM
Thank you for the suggestion. I can get a mac mini 2011 with 8 Gb and a SSD(256) and a HDD(1TB) combined into a fusion drive. Will that be usefull?

Sounds perfect, as long as it has an i5 or – even better – i7 CPU, but for a 2011 model that will probably be the case. The 256GB SDD will be fine as a very fast primary/OS disk, also the place where Roon will store its database. The 1TB fusion drive could keep your music files – dependent on the size of your collection.