Operation of the NAA point in an HQplayer environment

Hello

I have a Fanless server/player in a Streacom Alpha 9 box with Roon Server/HQplayer installed.

This one runs on WServer 2019 highly optimized and is connected to a Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC

For some time I observe a tendency to separate the server where Roon is installed and have an independent player where HQplayer would be installed.

I would like to have your feedback on the operation under Linux and the NAA integration

in my example, I have a Jcat Net CARD XE network card installed in my server, it’s the input and output card that will be responsible for the flow to the NAA and this one goes back to the DAC via USB

what is the difference between NAA and player ?

the had advised of Jussi would be of a great help to me

Sincerely

Jluc

NAA is endpoint in the network responsible of audio output. HQPlayer is the actual player performing all the player functionality and DSP. Results processed ready for audio output are sent to a NAA.

Essentially this splits HQPlayer into two parts. The player engine, and audio output.

NAA is network equivalent of USB Audio Class. At best, there’s no USB involved, just network straight to DAC.

2 Likes

Taking advantage of this thread to configure my planned HQPlayer setup: my DAC is a Holo May KTE, which allegedly has a great USB input. Is there any reason to go beyond a basic Pi 4 + HQPlayer OS > USB > May for NAA endpoint?

Only if Jussi stops supporting RPi4 one day

I prefer his recommended UPBoard Gateway running NAA OS

https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html

2 Likes

Thanks, I had forgotten about those. Backordered, but then so are Pi 4s, so…

@Jean-Luc_Descout described his fanless server, which is close to what I’m considering to run as Roon and HQPlayer server, but I’m a bit unsure of how “big” to go with all the options at Fanless PC | Power Computers, Fanless PCs. Would this be enough with i9-11900? My concern is not price but bulk and noise given the constraints of our living arrangements. On the server, I just need system SSD for OS and Roon, 4TB SSD for music. No WiFi or additional cards, I’d be running it headless with Ubuntu Server LTS 20.04, which is what I run on my current lower-grade fanless Roon servers.

Says backordered but I ordered (my 2nd UP Gateway) few days ago and it’s already shipped.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Operation of the NAA point in an HQplayer environment:

hello Jussi

the Up Gatway Atom is for the server part or player ?
because it seems to me that for the player HQplayer, you need power

how to integrate it in my system

thank you for your feedback

Jluc :grinning:

Up Gateway Atom

We have the same discussion about the UpBoard in my Embedded thread:

Yes the UpBoard can run Embedded but since it is an Intel Atom, its DSP capabilities will obviously be limited.

A Raspberry Pi 4 can also run Embedded / HQP OS but similar point as above.

For the endpoint (NAA). In which case you would run HQPlayer somewhere else doing all the heavy lifting.

If you need basic PCM output upsampling, then the Up could possibly do that too and run HQPlayer Embedded. But for such lighter operations with HQPlayer Embedded there are those better suited more powerful Up Squared devices, such as this

Or the just announced new one with new CPUs:

Note that these are not suitable for running advanced modulators for DSD outputs. Just basic PCM filters.

I have configured a Roopieee endpoint as NAA.

Will I be able to see it in Roon? And how so?

I’m just learning

Not in Roon, but in HQPlayer. You can then add HQPlayer to Roon.