Opinion - Would a Lumin U1x or U2 Streamer be a noticeable upgrade to a Nucleus as my Streamer?

This may be a dumb question for those with experience with streamers… my experience with hi-fi streaming is limited to my Roon Nucleus. My Nucleus is connected via a AQ Diamond USB to my McIntosh MCD12000 CD/Dac, which is a pretty good DAC, with a pretty good cable, I’m also using a sBooster LPS. I think I’ve maxed the capabilities of the Nucleus as a streamer.

I’m my opinion it sounds very good, but not as good as the MCD12000 playing SACD’s or my turntable.

I’ve been considering a Lumin Transport, the U1X or more likely the U2 wich seems to be more current and more feature packed, including the SPF cage.

Anyone have experience with the comparison - or know a lot more than me to give me their opinion?

1 Like

There are some users who upgraded from a Roon Core computer direct connection to Lumin U2 or U1. One report is here:

Another report from a McIntosh user:

Yes, you may consider U2, or T3 / P1 (with built-in DAC).

4 Likes

For a long time I used Nucleus as a streamer with a direct connection to a DAC via USB. Then I bought a U1 mini with linear power supply from Teddy Pardo. Nucleus began to be used only as a server with playback via RAAT through Lumin in RoonOnly mode, this was a big increase in the SQ :+1:. U2 or U1X will give an even greater increase, especially for an external DAC of a higher class or try T3, which can be both a DAC and a Transport.

2 Likes