Opinions - Component Upgrading - Which First?

Based on what Marantz say (their specs) or you’ve measured yourself to verify?

Neither. Decades of impressions; some knowledge of the vision on Ken Ishiwata - the guy in Japan who really drove Marantz since its sale ages ago to Standard Radio. I am of course not talking about the early days in Kew Gardens (although i have Sid Smith’s old Syrinx tonearm in use!)

And how, by the way, could I measure and confirm such, given the very tenuous relationship between measurements and sound quality? very little research on that has been done since Bell Labs got out of the game int he 30s and 40s. Most is (reasonable) inference from music theory.

Not sound quality. I wouldn’t go down that slippery slope.

You mentioned “engineering”.

I’m moreso talking about ‘does it do what it says on the can’ …

Some 3rd party measurements (by EE’s like yourself) of Marantz gear have raised my eyebrows.

Since you mentioned you’re an EE I wondered if you’d done your own measurements since you speak highly of Marantz and are an EE…

honestly i dont know nor do i really care - its not in my niche, so little professional interest. They have had a good rep for decades though, and the OP has the stuff. Nothing more nor less.

I was really commenting on the significance of DACs as one looks for truly good sound reproduction.

Most stuff meets FTC specs as published. That’s not really very important to how it sounds honestly. FTC specs dont really simulate a dynamic load very well.

No time to waste on this now.

want a fun read, read this:

No problems. It’s just when you wrote:

Then when asked about engineering you then write:

All good though. Certainly not a big deal.

My old man (dad) owns some old Marantz gear - sounds good !

are you just trolling?

It would appear so.

On to more important things though, the Audyssey mic did not work with my MacBook/REW and the miniDSP UMIK-1 is on back order. Can’t find one in Canada. So I decided to re-arrange my speakers tonight and re-run Audyssey for the new setup. I was worried about having the speakers in this location, thinking they would be too far apart and there would be too much separation but wow, it actually sounds much more cohesive and the soundstage is much wider. I feel more engulfed in the music now and not just listening to it from the other side of the room; way more depth is being presented. The sub is on the same wall as the mains now, giving it a much better integration with the mains; Audyssey seemed to have found a good crossover and volume setting but it may need further tweaking once I get a mic for REW.

I’m very happy with these results so far. Someone should have mentioned how important speaker positioning was… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

That already looks A LOT more “good sounding” than the previous positioning :slight_smile:

How did you get on with the cables?

Well, I ended up unintentionally side skirting the cabling issue. My significant other and I could not align on where the speakers, sub and components should all be located. So through a compromise I ended up with a set of KEF LSX wireless speakers and am very happy with the purchase. The other system is now in my basement and is set up for watching movies.

I had ordered a sub to go with the KEF LSX’s but ended up cancelling the order once I heard how the speakers sound in my room. Amazing how low these little speakers go and the detail is fantastic. I have them quite far apart at 14’ but it forms an equilateral triangle with my listening position and I’m using the Speaker Setup in Roon to tweak the distances in order to dial in the stereo image. It sounds like the Oscar Peterson Trio is playing right here in my living room!

I’m happy, she’s happy, life’s good.

9 Likes