OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

(Course it may not be so cool if you don’t have the zone locked down and someone starts playing Roon from the next room).

Sorry for my ignorance but these things provide bridge and dac but you still need an amp to drive speakers, yes?

The UDP-205 has a headphone amp built in, an outboard DAC, and you should be able to run powered speakers as well. (you would need an amp for non-powered speakers)

1 Like

let’s start from definitions
“The Roon Ready program combines our RAAT technology…”
The RAAT technology is the backbone of the Roon Ready program. It offers technological benefits such as:

DSD playback
Multi-channel playback"

So , if
“Due to technical limitations within these products, the audio interface available to the RAAT firmware is unable to support DSD or multichannel playback.”
Then
OPPO devices are not Roon Ready
Where am i wrong???

The RAAT protocol has no problem streaming DSD/Multichannel, but if the device can’t render DSD/Multichannel, then the device is still allowed to be Roon Ready.

There are many Roon Ready devices out there that can not do DSD/Multichannel.

The Oppo is unique in that it can do DSD/Multichannel in some ways, but not others. We are not pleased with this obviously, but solving this is in Oppo’s domain, not ours.

The device was granted Roon Ready designation because even though it does not do everything, it does the stuff that it does correctly, with no cheats or lies, and with the best UX/SQ possible. Signal Path will be transparent as to what is going on. As stated above, they could possibly still improve this in the future.

1 Like

finally clear up
Stereo DSD is not supported, is it?

I hope that there is a way to add DSD and Multichannel Support. If so I could get rid of my Hifiberry/Digi+ Pro Raspberry PI

Using an oppo roonready, where is the core? Is it In the oppo or should I use a pc or nas too? A friends of mine is ok with ipad
pc and oppo, but only with ipad and oppo, the ipad don’t see the oppo.
Can someone help us?

In terms of the Roon architecture, the Oppo is considered as an Output device. It most certainly is not a Core device.

For me its the same :frowning:

Did you read the rest of the thread?

They did not mention any future plans although I asked, but I hope they are eorking on it for the upcoming firmware update. I am not a technical person so I cant understand why raat is limited to 24/192 while the player can do dsd 64 and 128 over DLNA. I hope Oppo overcomes this limitation.

1 Like

UPnP is file and/or stream-per-song oriented, and often times, an implementor will design their infrastructure around that technique. A sign of this is when you do not hear gapless playback. It’s not always the reason for non-gapless playback, but it’s a good guess of how things work under the hood.

RAAT is a constant gapless stream and can change formats and rates “midstream”. This makes system designed with only the “boundary oriented” nature of UPnP in mind much harder to port over. Many of our partners have this issue, and many manage to overcome it with some effort.

Oppo felt it was best to get product out the door with caveats rather than delay the entire process even longer. I can see how Oppo and many Roon members would be happier having something rather than nothing. They have said they are on it, and I’m sure they want to see this limitation removed as much as you do.

1 Like

Thank you. I didnt mean to criticise and I appreciate Oppo s efforts.

since i build my audio environment around Roon i am more than happy that oppo is roonready now.

I now have my Roon Core sending multi-channel DSD and FLAC over HDMI to my Oppo 105D. I hope to get the 205 in the future.

Hi, I started using Roon to my UDP-205 yesterday and experienced that the player freezed (not able to switch inputs) when trying to return from using it as a Roon device. Had to restart. Anyone else with the same issue?

This is SWEET! The audio quality is great and the convenience factor is superb.

Thanks to Roon and Oppo!

1 Like

Maybe a bit of a noob question. I have separate amps for AV (Denon) and for Music (Rega). The music amp does not have an HDMI in. When I use Roon, I woudl rather use the music amp. Can I use the analog outs from the Oppo to connect to the Rega amp while simultaneously having the HDMI out connected to the Denon? Which of the analog outs will work, FL and FR?

1 Like
  1. Yes.
  2. All outputs are active.
2 Likes

Thanks. The conversation above led me to believe that the Oppo could output only 2.0 and not multi channel. Is that only on HDMI? What am I missing here?