OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

I do not know to what you are referring but Oppo can only get 2.0 input as a ROON Ready device.

1 Like

Understood. Got a bit confused there.

Anyway, in terms of output, I can see from the manual that if the down mix mode is set to stereo, then the FL and FR outputs can be connected to the stereo amp. This does not affect the HDMI out. Iā€™ll be getting the UDP203 this weekend, and so trying to figure out how it will all work. Thanks.

I just tried playing Roon through Oppo 205, it plays well except that I noticed while playing a FLAC file that is 96/24, the Roon would show playing 44.1/16? did I miss some settings?

I got the Oppo today, and have completed initial setup. The chain of QNAP NAS (storage) -> Chromebox (Roon Core) -> Oppo UDP203 -> Rega Elex-R (stereo amp) -> Speakers works well, i.e. Roon shows a lossless throughput, and I can hear the music. I havent done an A-B testing compared to my previous setup to assess which is better. In the previous setup, the DAC was the Oppo HA-2 and now its the UDP203. Hopefully the latter is better.

Denis, have you looked at the device setup for the Oppo? There are options for limiting max bitrate and sampling. Are those enabled by any chance? In my case both are disabled.

I got my BDP-205 today and I am happy running Roon via OPPO-205 now.
But even when setting network standby mode I have to power the OPPO manually on before I am able to use (see) it from Roon Remote. Did I miss something ?

Network standby is meant to enable power on command via the OPPO app. I do not believe that it is intended to work with third party apps.

Regardless, because of reported persistent memory and HDMI handshake issues that do not get flushed without a full power off, network standby is not recommended on the OPPO.

AJ

Yes you still need an amp and speakers.

My UPD205 has been working with no issues

1 Like

If I use my UDP205 as a DAC with USB input it will not start playing as a Roon device. However if I switch input to blu-ray it works ok. Have you tested it with different input settings on the UDP205? Frode

Frode Did you switch the UDP205 input to the USB-DAC setting? I canā€™t remember what output I used on the UDP205ā€¦ Iā€™ll check this afternoon. Pete

Frode, I checked my setup. Iā€™m using USB-DAC input. My Oppo input is set to USB-DAC (top right of remote) and I am using the analog output through my RCA connectors to my amp.

For those of you with balanced inputs on your preamp/amp, I noticed a significant improvement by using the balanced versus RCA connections/cables on my Oppo.

1 Like

Agree that the sound is better, more lively and wider sound stage, with balanced connections. I have been testing how Roon takes over the control of the UDP-205 when there already are signals coming in on USB-DAC, coax and optical inputs. Sometime Iā€™m not able to take control as the UDP-205 is said to be busy. If I toggle the input on the UDP-205, Roon stops playing but the UDP-205 donā€™t necessarily immediately start to play from the selected source. Any guidance from Roon/ Oppo on how this is supposed to work?

I am considering an upgrade to Oppo UDP 203 or 205 as a Roonready end point.

Just to be sure, is it possible to have optical and RCA spdif out from the OPPO to an external DAC?

Analog and digital outputs form the OPPO can work at the same time?

That would be great!

I have the UDP-203. The outputs will operate simultaneously to multiple sources.

Currently, I have Toslink and SPDIF output from the Oppo to my Schiit Gumby.
HDMI output to my Anthem AVR; and Analog RCA output to my W4S integrated amp.

Really awesome!
I was asking because I am a little tired of all these Roon endpoints that have only USB outputs. So manufacturers want to sell us all kinds of decrapifiers associated with this USB (DD converters, filters, power supplies, and so on).

I currently have Sotm usb 200 which is very good but I believe I can achieve the same performance with a device that ā€œdoes it allā€ like the OPPO, and spending much less.

Are you happy with sound quality? did you compare it with other endpoints?

I spent some time yesterday evaluation Roon as part of my quest to find a good local streaming solution to take advantage of the DACs in the Opportunity UDP-205 (firmware UDP20XEU-51-0922) for quality music playback. I came away somewhat disappointed with the sound quality.

I set up a Roon core on a mid 2011 Mac mini running Mac OS 10.12.6 with a collection of 16bit,44Kb/s ALAC music files (stored in iTunes). The Mac mini is connected to the UDP-205 via Gigabit ethernet. The Mac mini also has a minimserver serving up the very same ALAC files over DLNA. The rest of the system is an Arcam AVR-850 into PMC twenty5.24 speakers with the Oppo connected via RCA analog to the Arcam.

I played a selection of favourite tracks and compare the Roon rendering with the minimserver rendering when pulled by the UDP-205 (as a DMP) over DLNA using the UDP-205ā€™s TV UI.

They two renderings sounded quite different with the Roon rendering no where near as good. The Roon rendering had quite a bit more base, but is was quite diffuse/flabby/wooly - very unconvincing. The Roon rendering also had less extended treble making the entire presentation quite dull. Further the sound stage completely collapsed loosing all depth and making instruments difficult to place. This suggests timing issues.

Does anyone have any suggestion on Roon settings that could improve the situation because I really liked its UI and library metadata? Currently DSP is turned of so no up-sampling, but I did try it with up-sampling without any improvement.

2 Likes

I think the UDP-203 sounds good. Itā€™s utility is what makes it stand out since it serves as a mutli-use disc & network player with the the capability of displaying the album art on the TVā€¦multiple outputsā€¦pretty cool device. It is the best thing out there, no, itā€™s not. In my case, I sold my five plus year old BDP-95 and purchased a UDP-203 for the blu-ray video benefits. The Roon software wasnā€™t yet functional and came later in a firmware upgrade.

The firmware likely gets more upgrades, since upsampling (on my device) isnā€™t yet functional. All you get is white noise when you try to set upsampling.

I have other endpoints which IMO sound better (to me) but those endpoints are fully compatible with Roon DSP functions (Sonore microRendu / Bryston BDP-1).

Hope that helpsā€¦

Edit: Inaccurate info on upsampling removed.

1 Like

Yes, your information is very helpful.
I have an Oppo BDP 103 and I will upgrade to the new 203 anyway mainly for video playback.
I will compare it to my other Roon endpoints and if it is betterā€¦ I will get rid of some stuff if not it will be a nice add-on.

For me upsampling is not an issue I donā€™t use it. Donā€™t have DSD so that also is not a showstopper for me.

I really hope to get it soon and see how it performs.

1 Like

Robert, after a zone configuration tweak or two, Roon DSP upsampling has worked with my OPPO UDP-203 endpoint right from the beginning. To say that the UDP-203 is incompatible with Roon DSP is incorrect.

AJ