OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

Hi AJ,

Please provide the instructions on those settings tweaks. Oppo tech support told me this morning the upsampling was incompatible.

If you provide me the instructions, I will be very happy to try it and provide you feedback if it worked or not.

If I am inaccurate it will be gladly so.

Thanks in advance. Robert

Robert, I posted my findings (and screenshots) at the time that the OPPO firmware update was announced. Browse back through the posts from approximately a month ago.

Incompatibility with upsampling but compatibility with native high sampling rate does not make sense in principle – because the result to the UDP-203 endpoint is high sampling rate, regardless.

AJ

This thread?

looks like around Sept 14th this thread…

Thanks, I found it. Will give it a try…

Afraid your work-around doesn’t work for me. Adjusted settings (sync time & custom upsampling ) produce only white/pink noise. Any other settings? Even in the Oppo menu setup?

All I can say is it will not work for me thusfar.

Any suggestions from the forum?

For me, with a 205, you can’t pause a track, change DSP settings, then resume the track. I get noise. However, if I hit Play Album after a change, it works fine with both upsampling and DSP applied.

1 Like

Thanks Stephen. I’ll try that later tonight. All my changes that led to white/pink noise were on the fly…

@Stephen_Dawson

Bingo. That did the trick. Many thanks.

Changes on the fly resulted in the white/pink noise. Thanks for the helpful advice.

I’m happy they did, especially since 100% of my digital library is PCM stereo. If they work it out it’s icing on the cake for me. Maybe I’ll get some files then.

OK, considering Roon; currently use JRiver and Sonos. Own the OPPO 205.
From the Roon Labs website it appears only the OPPO 205 and the Roon app is needed: https://roonlabs.com/partners/oppo.html

But I am guessing I will need the Roon core running somewhere, correct? Music (10,000 tracks or so) is on a new Synology NAS, but not quite powerful enough and no SSD to run Roon core optimally.

This would be a headless operation and I would like to view the Roon interface on the main TV screen.
Suggestions? The ROCK approach with an Intel NUC?

If you run Roon on a Mac/PC – then you only need the Roon app, because on Mac/PC, the Roon app can act as a Core as well.

The only solution to do this is use an Android device that can project its interface on your TV.

1 Like

Or hook a PC/MAC running the ROON core or ROON remote directly to the TV.

Thank you Danny. So, if I ran Roon core/app on a NUC or Mac Mini with an HDMI output, the interface won’t be available on that output?

@bearFNF is correct, mac/pc hdmi would obviously work too.

The Oppo will also display the album art, album name, track, track time, and status on the TV screen via HDMI.

There is a photo of that posted in this thread on September 13th.

Robert - Got it thanks. This all looks promising. I assume the Oppo HDMI output on the screen is a duplicate of the app output on the control device (say an iPad), correct?

I just began messing around with custom upsampling with my 203. Forgive me but hat is the benefit of this exactly? Thanks!

No, the OPPO HDMI output does not mirror the Roon remote. It is an OPPO custom screen.

AJ

Understood thanks. It looks like it is time to load up the free trial and see how all this works. In general, are folks on this thread happy with the Roon/Oppo integration?