OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 now Roon Ready

My Oppo is connected to an Intel NUC 6i5 (Rock) via RAAT. Everything is fine, but there’s one thing I don’t understand: compared to other users in this tread my signal path is the same as above, but shows an blue star at audio distribution (instead of a purple one). Clicking on this stage give me the message: “audio is being distributed to multiple outputs.” Could anyone give me a piece of information what to change in the settings? I suspect it’s a setting of the Oppo, not of Roon.

No it’s limited (TV display) to only basic information. The Roon Remote on the tablet screen is far more extensve and interactive.

I like how it works, and the player has lots of utility as a video/audio disc spinner, network player, and being Roon Ready as well.

Continuing the discussion from Lose the pejorative 'Low Quality' for MP3 and similar:

@Frank_Klaeren

This post from Danny Dulai should give aditional insight on the signal path colors…

are you using zone groups?

Well, I got the solution. I experimented with the settings of the digital and analogue output of the Oppo UDP-203 a while ago. That was the cause. After resetting the Oppo back to the factory settings, I got the purple star.
Thank you all for your friendly help.

Any chance the 205 will eventually process multichannel audio from Roon?

1 Like

I’ve been told “no” because of a limitation in the Oppo.

That is very disappointing indeed

Call Oppo and express interest anyway. Enough calls might put it on the radar for a future product release. UDP 303/305

1 Like

Too bad. Thanks Kal.

Given Roon playback a try on an Oppo UDP-203…

Sound quality is great, but the lack of multi-channel support is a little disappointing. (This is particularly true given that UPnP/DLNA playback from JRiver can provide 6 channel [5.1] playback). Nevertheless, the gapless playback is far better than what DLNA provides.

Hopefully, the comment above regarding multi-channel support as not possible is in reference to the Sonica DAC, and not the UDP-203/205.

I was speaking of the 203/205.

push Oppo, and they will do it.

1 Like

It seems they were saying “never” for Roon support right up until recently, so I wouldn’t give up hope. At least you should be able in the mean time to play multi channel files on your network using their media app, though not gapless.

I seem to have a similar issue…audio distribution is blue and not purple. However I’m not using a NUC. I have the core on an SSD attached to my NAS; music stored on my NAS.
NAS is connected to my network via Ethernet.
I’m controlling playback from my Surface Book via Wifi.
I’ve reset the Oppo and tried using it via Wifi and Ethernet…still only get blue star.
In my study/man cave with Surface Book connected to Oppo HA1 via USB I get a purple chain all the way thru.
Is there a re way to get purple on my Oppo with my existing setup?

This might be relevant

Are you referring to the Sonica DAC or multi-channel on the 203/205?

Both. Manufacturers need a push to see demand, to do anything.

That’s odd. What are your settings in oppos menu: audio processing 》 speaker configuration 》 down mix? Did you change something in the settings of the audio output setup?

My Oppo is connected to an AVR via output “HDMI Main”… and via analog output as well. But this has no influence on the signal path, which was my first assumption.

Thanks Frank. I wasn’t certain that I was meant to get a purple signal path right through. I had previously reset my oppo 203 to factory settings. Of course I then reinstalled my saved config settigns which must have included changes to the audio processing.
I just reset factory settings and tried play back again…woohoo…purple signal path straight through.

Thanks again

1 Like