OPPO UDP-205 MQA (via USB-In) is now live!

All,
I updated my Oppo last wk and am very happy with the sound quality of MQA via the USB port compared with the updated iFI MicroDSD. IMO the Oppo has a bit wider soundstage and improved low end. Plus the MQA update to the iFi left it “crippled” IMO as now it is only able to upsample to DSD 128 for non-MQA content and reintroduced the “DSD Pop” that iFI had updated away several yrs back. With the Oppo I can upsample non-MQA to DSD 256 or PCM 768 with no “pop” and again I think the MQA sounds a bit better w/the Oppo vs. iFi.

As for USB via Ethernet, IMO it is no contest (on my system/network)…the Oppo via USB direct from my Mac Mini w/2 Jitterbugs (one on USB cable, one in spare USB port into an Uptone isoRegen USB reclocker w/the UpTone LPS-1 power supply into the Oppo sounds WAY better than direct Ethernet from my router to Oppo (a 2 ft run w/fancy audiophile etherent and Ethernet decrapifyer)…plus the Ethernet on the Oppo won’t do MQA decoding/rendering and won’t do DSD via Roon (without use of HQPlayer or similar). Just my two cents!

I am curious what you all have put for the MQA settings w/the upgraded Oppo. I have the Roon MQA 1st unfold turned off and the setting for the Oppo device within Roon as “both decoder/renderer”…correct??
thanks,
Doug

2 Likes