Orchard Audio Pecan Pi Streamer or Pecan Pi USB DAC - Which One?

I’m thinking about buying an Orchard Audio Pecan Pi to use as a headphone amp/DAC. I already have a Meridian Prime and Dragonfly Cobalt, but I’m interested in trying something else. My headphones are Sony WH-1000XM3 and Aeon Flow open back.

I am torn between The Pecan Pi Streamer and the Pecan Pi USB DAC. They are the same price. I think I have just about convinced myself the Streamer makes more sense but I’m still on the fence.

To use the Streamer, I would simply run another 6 foot ethernet cable from my switch with one open port available. To use the USB DAC, I would run a short USB cable from my RPi4 where the Meridian Prime is plugged in. I believe I would simply need to turn off the Meridian Prime to use the Pecan Pi and vice-versa.

Anyway, unless someone gives me some info I’m not thinking about, I’ll go with the Pecan Pi Streamer.

I’d go with the streamer. You get more functionality for the same price. The DACs in the two are essentially the same.

1 Like

I have 2 Pecan Pi Streamers, one in my living area and one in my office, for a little over a year now. I treasure them. They are fantastic. I am thinking of building a photo studio on to my house and if I do I will be purchasing another.

1 Like

I ordered a Pecan Pi Streamer, then cancelled my order. I decided I was good with my AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt and Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier and Power Supply. I didn’t need to spend another $445.