Over 400 reports of corrupted and dead Roon systems is not “rather rare” in my book

You’re right, it doesn’t hit every problem case and I see how carefully and wisely you move here. It’s not just unloading frustration. That finds my recognition and the shared pain when something does not go.

2 Likes

Yes, I too should think carefully about all the words and show more understanding for the very difficult customer problems. Your actions also convince me, too bad it did not help.

My way so far was Clonezilla for each hard drive as 1:1 copy. As a previous speaker mentioned, no backup in live server mode, but mounted in Clonezilla live disk to disk, as long as it still works and even dying disks can be edited or edited later with Linux tools so that years of work may be saved. A LevelDB expert would certainly still be able to help. The Roon team should employ such a person in the future. Es wird immer Probleme geben, die nicht an einem Tag gelöst werden.

1 Like

I thought the DB issue was related to old versions of .Net but if @simon_pepper has had issues on a ROCK that seems strange.

Roon switched from mono to MS .Net in build 846 so surely the ROCK would be kept updated by Roon themselves as users have no access to the ROCK OS.

Today, we are releasing an updated version of Roon for Linux, which will now run on Microsoft’s .NET runtime. This replaces the mono runtime Roon has always used on platforms other than Windows and Roon OS.

Note: No action is needed for Cores running on Roon OS devices, including Nucleus and ROCK. They already use Microsoft’s .NET runtime.

My two cents: I would like Roon to implement a security updates only change management policy from the week before Thanksgiving until after New Year.

It’s the worst period of the year to be without music.

1 Like

Wayyyy more… Xmas is canceled for the Roon software team that’s for sure.

1 Like

Same. Gone back to JRiver for now.

1 Like

I installed 880 on my Nucleus+ and everything seemed to be fine for a day or so until my library began to diminish by alarming degrees. There was no message that my database had been corrupted. I reinstalled from my most recent backup (pre 880) but the problem persisted. I then received a message after a further soft reboot that an update was necessary to address database issues (I’m paraphrasing) which must have been the installation of 882. After a further reboot, everything seems to be okay, although search now seems to have a problem with Qobuz from time to time and will only search the library on my NAS.

From this, and after reading other posts, I conclude that there was a database bug in 880 which had nothing to do with corrupt databases, though some might have been genuinely corrupted, which was fixed in many cases by 882.

What I find troubling is Roon’s response. At first certain staff were apologising and promising this kind of thing would never happen again. Then Roon put out an announcement saying it was down to corrupt databases, and not admitting that there had been a bug in 880, fixed by 882. So far as the figure of 400 is concerned, this can’t be taken as a reliable guide as to how many suffered difficulties. I wonder what percentage didn’t bother to make a complaint to Roon support.

I’d have rather more faith in Roon if they just came clean about what happened rather than trying to weasel out of it.

3 Likes

And I should add that since installing 882 Roon has carried out an automatic backup. As I understand it, database integrity is checked before this is done. This suggests to me that there was no real problem with my database at the time of the 880 update, or the backup I installed to try and resolve matters, but with build 880 itself.

1 Like

Colin A lot of users had issues with parts of their libraries disappearing after installing build 880.
These almost all came back after a reboot or if left long enough, though it was alarming for many users at the time.

I do not believe Roon have explained what happened to cause this, but in general it seems to be short lived.

1 Like

In fairness, I should point out that in the thread linked below Danny has admitted there was a database corruption error in 880 that was fixed in 882. It seems to have worked for me but obviously I can’t speak for others.

Interesting point that.

I wonder if the other 241K Roon users that are not active in the forum ever experience problems?

How do they get them fixed when they do have them?

I view this forum as critical for flagging and resolving issues within Roon.

In order to keep my mental health in check I often pop in here just to wallow in somebody else’s Roon related misery.

I know, guilty pleasures.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Well, I disagree with the entire post. 1% of 40,000 (400) would be “rare”. Multiples of 40,000 are exceedingly rare. These rants, absence facts or evidence, help no one.

1 Like

I should first say that my own update went flawlessly. But I am concerned about the significant number of Roon subscribers who faced serious disruption due to corrupt DB issues and how Roon’s update process handled those issues in this build update.

Assuming that this is technically possible (and I have no reason to think it is not), this is so obviously correct that it I am stunned that Team Roon did not think to implement the DB check/installation process in this manner, and that so many Roon users are defensive about Roon’s fumbling of this round of updates.

Roon is a company that sells a product. Not a persecuted faith tradition. Not an endangered ethnic community. Not a troubled family member. Not a fragile watershed area. Just a product combined – like many software solutions – with a service. Get a grip…and some perspective.

The company makes a fundamentally worthy product and has offered what many of us have found to be a good value proposition.

It has also made a few decisions that have ill-served a not insignificant number of customer-subscribers. As customers we appropriately complain when bungles threaten to shift how we evaluate the basic value proposition.

Not only does Roon have a stake in its own market-worthiness, so do all of us who benefit from its service and have integrated it deeply into how we listen to our libraries of music. Too many mistakes like this can cause an erosion in confidence and satisfaction that could advance toward a tipping point of defection and reputational harm of the sort that has doomed many good companies and the goods and services they offer.

Hopefully, Roon will not be as defensive as many of its overly zealous defenders have been about this unfortunate episode.

5 Likes

Why don’t the myriad complaints concerning Roon not working properly after the update count as facts or evidence? They look that way to me.

3 Likes

They are facts or evidence that something is wrong. We just don’t know what is wrong. Updates sometimes expose lots of problems, including the update itself.

This is why it is hard to have a meaningful discussion about real problems:

2 Likes

Well, as has been pointed out by myself and others, 400 is unlikely to be the actual number of people affected. It’s likely to be much more than that.

But let’s assume for the sake of argument that it is 400; is that the usual number of persons having difficulty after an update? And if it’s satisfactory to have 400 people with serious problems, what does that say about Roon - small percentages really don’t matter?

Personally, I think this focus on “only 400” is a bit of a red herring.

2 Likes

Almost 4.5 sigma. Of course, that’s no consolation for those having problems. Roon will get them going.

I would have thought the numbers here are pretty representative of people running Roon on open platforms or ROCK. It is only really people running on third party hardware who might look elsewhere for support.

I’m not over keen to defend Roon here, but they’ve never said they’re satisfied with the situation. I think the problem is they currently have no way of helping, not that they’re satisfied.

When thinking about the number of affected customers it’s worth considering that serious automobile recalls affect millions fairly regularly. True they have more customers…

1 Like