Parametric EQ and Crossfeed settings

Would someone please share a screenshot of their Parametric EQ settings? I really do not know how to use it to get the best sound from it. I’m still in my trial and it would be really helpful if I could just copy someone who understands how the EQ works to get the best sound from Roon. Honestly, I have very little knowledge of how these features affect the sound nor have I ever used any kind of EQ much in my life. I’m asking to copy someone else’s because I’d rather not have to spend the time playing with it hoping I’ll figure it out. I realize this is kind of subjective to one’s personal preferences. However, I’d just rather opt for copying someone else’s who has a good understanding of how it works. Happy New Year!

For headphones or what?

No. Not for headphones. For my living room stereo. I’m using a Peachtree Nova150 with a Bluesound Node 2i. My speakers are Vintage Klipsch KG2’s. My iMac is currently my Roon core and I use my iPhone for a remote. I forgot to mention. I do NOT listen to classical or jazz. I prefer a mixture of rock, pop and some hip hop / dance music with thumping bass. I don’t know if this makes any difference. The EQ is the main thing I need help with.

Not possible and better to just ignore this feature.

Your speakers do not produce a “flat” response (very few do, no I didn’t lookup the response of your speaker). Your speakers interact with room. This combination means your frequency response curve is unique to your speaker and room. Your preference for low end impact or brightness or forward mids is going to be different than someone else and these are influenced by the response curve. EQ is adjusting this curve so it needs to be specific to your environment and preferences. You can share with headphones because there is no room interaction to worry about so two of the same headphones should shift their response the same with the same settings (I say should because there is always variations in how they sit on your head, driver tolerances, etc.). But this sharing cannot be done for loudspeakers in a room.

It’s a topic that takes time to understand which is why I say ignore it. I’ve got a calibrated microphone, a basic understanding of REW, a good understanding of which instruments and music sit within certain frequency ranges, etc. and I still don’t use EQ because I simply don’t have the time to set it up properly (and I’m 95% happy with my current set-up anyway). So, EQ is just another part of the hobby but there is no shortcuts. You have to take measurements of your system and experiment to find what works for you.

1 Like

and… I’ll counter my own response… just go do this and see if you like the result…

@BT_Lancaster The reason it is impossible to provide you with a room curve that will sound the best in your listening space is because your listening space has the biggest impact on the sound you hear. Sound emitting from your speakers bounces all over the room your speakers are set up in. The very very basic EQ curve that may, or may not, improve the sound in your listening space is the “smile” curve someone mentioned earlier. Just don’t go below in 0 in the middle of the curve (in my opinion), but again that is subject to your room, and of course your speaker characteristics. The left of the curve represents the bass, and the right represents the treble.

There is specialized hardware and software to more accurately correct the sound in a listening space via DSP - digital sound processing. Until you’re ready for a huge learning curve, have the time, and money to invest, keep it simple for now. When you’re ready, jump in. Do your homework. There are a couple of companies that can come to your home and do it for you, though I’ve never used them. Hope this helps. Enjoy the music.

Or, you can just play around with the setting until you find something that you like!

Thanks for your help!

Which companies are you referring to? And how much does it cost? Thanks for your help!

Haha, right.

That I don’t know. You’ll have to research it yourself. I do recall coming across a couple but didn’t take note as I do my own correction.

I used a service called Home Audio Fidelity to create my convolution filters. You’ll need a calibrated microphone (I used a miniDSP UMIK-1, about $60) to take the measurements and then they do all the work to create the filters. Super happy with the results.

Thanks, Dave!