Performance and network connectivity issues with native QNAP installation

Hi All,

I have recently migrated from a RoonServer running on a Windows 10 VM under the QNAP virtualisation station to the native .qpkg installer. Everything was working fine on the VM but now using the native .qpkg I can browse ok but I am unable to play anything. When I try to play local files after about 2 seconds of silence I get the following message:

Roon - an audio file is loading slowly this may indicate a performance or hardware problem

And when I try to play anything from Tidal and also after about 2 seconds of silence I get:

Tidal - a networking or connectivity problem is interfering with tidal playback

The QNAP is a EC1080 with 32GB memory. CPU usage is quite low and there is plenty of free memory. The NAS is running QTS 4.2.1 01/06/2016. The DB is on a RAID1 pair of SSDs and storage is local to the NAS although the same thing happens when configured to use an smb share. The old Windows10 VM is of course shutdown. Roon is build 147.

RoonRemotes have not changed but are a wired desktop and a wireless Surface3 both of which have the same issue. The issue happens with all available outputs.

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for in the logs?

Many thanks,


It seems to me this is some kind of network issue.
Do you have some kind of special network setting?
I have seen this kind of error when for example “jumbo packets” had been enabled.
Also I’d recommend to check if there is a firewall enabled which might block some network traffic.

Thanks for the response. I had considered it to be a network issue of some kind but given that it was working under a VM and I have other things working fine on the NAS I didn’t want to change too much blind.

Virtualisation station and the NAS itself both have a 802.3ad LAG configured to load balance on both IP and MAC. Each LAG has 2 gigabit ethernet ports as members. Flow control is disabled on all of the ports. I tried unplugging one of the LAG ports to force everything to run on a single interface but still no change. Jumbo frames of 9000 are enabled but obviously given that the NAS is used for other things I would rather try and avoid changing this if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,


Changing to 1500 sized frames makes no difference.

Many thanks,


Jumbo frames require all devices to be capable of it.
Why don’t you just backup your config file first before making any change, so you’ll later be able to revert back to it?
I have not tested the 802.3ad LAG setups. To exclude these factors from the diagnosis I’d first stop Roon Server in the App Center. Turn off 802.11ad LAG + Jumbo Frames and then start Roon again.

Sounds like the errors I got a few weeks ago. Logging out of Tidal and in again fixed it each time it happened. I have not had the error since 147.
Not sure if it was just a coincidence that I have not had the error since 147.

Just a quick update after having time to look at this post weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had ensured that all devices are capable of jumbo frames and it was certainly all working under Windows 10 in a VM with no further changes on the network.

I disconnected the 2nd interface from the LAG on the NAS - No change

I rebooted the NAS - No change

I changed the MTU on the NAS to 1500 - No change

I changed the MTU on the client to 1500 - No change

I rebooted the NAS - No change

I rebooted the client - No change

Rebooted the switch - Working fine!

Changed the MTU on the NAS and the client to 9000 - Working fine

Reconnected the 2nd interface to the LAG on the NAS - Working fine

That is as far as I have got. So everything is now working great with an MTU of 9000 and the NAS with two interfaces into a 802.3ad LAG with a MAC/IP loadbalanced profile. First impressions is that everything seems much snappier than the Server Win10 VM installation in the Virtualisation Station which wasn’t particularly slow in the first place. I am still not convinced that I really know the root cause and the switch was never set to anything but jumbo frames and 802.3ad. I will monitor it and see how it goes.

My Surface 3 tablet doesn’t play to its local output but I suspect that it is because it doesn’t support jumbo frames on its wireless interface (Or at least doesn’t seem to). If I have the inclination I might test this by rolling everything back to 1500 sized frames. However it controls my other zones at the moment fine which is all I want it for currently.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Many thanks,