PERSONNEL tag in ID3 based files

You just had to count them all, didn’t you? :wink:

A few items which appear to be inconsistencies.

When parsing FLAC, ID3, or MPEG-4 files , a remixer found as a Remixer field in a PERSONNEL tag or in a separate REMIXER tag will be processed correctly. However, when parsing ID3 files, TPE4 frames should be processed as Remixer. TPE4 is pretty much universally used to store a remixer in ID3 based files. Other ID3 ‘credit’ type fields such as TCOM, TPE3 and TEXT are parsed correctly. I’m not sure why TPE4 should not be parsed as well.

The original release date parsing for ID3 based files is quite complicated. It seems as if TDRC, TDRL, TDOR (ID3v2.4) and TORY (ID3v2.3) will all be used as Release Date. I’m not entirely clear on how priorities are determined if more than one field is present. In order to get Original Release Date to be recognized, a TXXX frame named ORIGINALRELEASEDATE must be created. Clearly TDOR and TORY should always be parsed as Original Release Date, as again, that is a far more than common usage model.

Yes. I also found this, so I started including a tag for ORIGINALRELEASEDATE since upgrading to v1.3. I hope the relevant Roon staff are seeing your comments. It would be good for them to align with accepted tagging standards, where possible. It should make it easier for new users who have been correctly tagging their collections to move over to Roon.

It appears that Roon is only retaining at most one LABEL tag when read from the files. I have FLAC files with multiple LABEL entries. The data is viewable when looking at File Tags in Roon, however the metadata list displays at most one Label.

1 Like

@joel Could you please look into LABEL tag issue? I also have FLACs which are tagged with multiple LABEL entries and having to repeat this info in Roon is a pain.

To add more to problems with Flac tags I noticed that Roon ignores day and month in DATE tag - and I also have to fill this info in Roon UI. @support, can you confirm that you are tracking this issue as well as a problem with multiple LABEL tags?

@mike can you take a look on latest reports regarding LABEL and DATE tag issues? I’d like to be sure that they are noticed and added to your internal bug tracker.

I would consider the non standard field usage of ID3 based Lyricist, Remixer and Original Release Time bugs as well:

Lyricist should be a TEXT frame
Remixer should be a TPE4 frame
and Original Release Data should be a TDOR frame in ID3v2.4 and a TORY frame in ID3 v2.3

With MPEG-4 and FLAC containers any tag used can be argued, however the above are all well defined and have been in common use for a long time.

Hi @Barry_2MR2 and @vladimirkl ----- Thank you for the feedback here and my apologies for the troubles.

May I kindly ask each of you to send us over a sample of media you are both noticing this behavior with so we can test in house? A dropbox download link in a PM would be great :sunglasses:

-Eric