Phantom Gold not yet Roon Ready? [yes, they are now]

I’ve hit a brick wall of silence over at the slimdevices forum, so I have no idea how to fix of my http parsing problem.

Have Devialet hinted anything this year, to anyone ?

About plans for Phantom Premier models being Roon Ready?

Hi there…I’ve found this software as well a couple of days ago and also having the same “Parsing” issue…in my case, it plays everything but with 16/44 files(Tidal or local) it always stops at ~3:20s, really frustrating…did you manage to find more info on this? I already played with a number of the options on the Config.xml but nothing…I’m back to the standard options with the exception of the 192k sample rate and the “1” switch for Roon…it’s really sad because this is a really elegant solution with a fantastic sound and really the only way to get 24/192 sample rate…since Toslink doesn’t support it…

My setup is a Windows10 PC (with Jcat Net card) where I’m running the Roon Server, with a Phantom Gold…I’ve all hardwired to a EtherREGEN switch… :frowning:

Hi.
I gave up on the project. I managed to get a stable connection streaming 24/192 over Toslink to one of the Phantoms, so I’m sort of OK, but I would really like to use the UPnP solution. My speakers are from one of the early production batches of Phantom Gold, maybe there’s been a hardware change somewhere in the production, hence your inability to stream 24/192 over Toslink. The issue is mentioned at Devialetchat.com too.

Got it, thanks…I’m also about to give up…what drives me crazy is that with Android BumbplePnP all works perfectly…but I don’t like the UI and integration with Tidal… :-/

There was some fuss lately reg. non-certified RAAT devices. With the Phantoms it seems to be the other way round. They appear to be RAAT certified together with the Expert amps. But we haven‘t received any firmware update as of now. No idea if this is wrong on the Roon website or something Devialet has changed on their strategy or if Phantom RAAT is coming soon. Here the Devialet RAAT list of devices according to the Roon website: https://roonlabs.com/partner-devialet

Nicely spotted! I don’t visit Roon’s partner pages too often… Seems like Phantoms are Roon Ready, but maybe it’s an error of some kind. I can imagine many happy Phantom owners if RAAT comes soon… :slight_smile:

Indeed, RAAT on the Phantoms would be a no-brainer if I were Devialet. And as it is already certified…

The Phantom’s are Roon “ready” because of the AirPlay implementation (like most other Streamers that have the Airplay protocol) with all the shortfalls that we talked about…very different from implementing RAAT protocol and being Roon certified…that certification, for example, gives us bit perfect streaming up to 192/24…THAT would make a lot people VERY happy and would make the Phantom’s a kick ass proposition and finally justify the cost of the speakers, but Devialet doesn’t seem to be very interested in that (or just can’t be implemented on the Phantom’s, read the forums…)…so I’m quite happy with this recent Roon initiative to separate what is REAL Roon certification from “marketing” leverage…

With new interesting competition showing up…I’m about to give up on all these Devialet eco-system / over priced marketing fab…after years of waiting(and bad firmware upgrades), DOS2 didn’t really gave us anything new (actually removed capabilities)…they sell these speakers at Audiophile price, but they are only overpriced Bluetooth/Airplay speakers there’s no way to justify the cash…

In many ways I’ve already left Devialet when I sold my D250 Pro CI earlier this year. You mention good reasons.
I must admit that RAAT on Phantoms (Premier or Reactor) would be a serious challenge, but owning a Devialet amp since 2012 has thought me that Devialet is slow and not always trustworthy.

1 Like

Hey @danny what is the correct version here? Phantoms are Roon ready, but Devialet has delayed their RAAT release or Roon’s partner web wrongly includes Phantoms?

DEVIALET PHATOM: Are they AIRPLAY 2 and ROON ? How to stream Roon music on DEVIALET PHANTOM? I’m lost…

I also have another question: How to Roon play on DEVIALET PHANTOM AND other Passive speakers or Old Power Speakers?

Which AIRPLAY2 device should I buy to feed the Passive speakers and Pld power speakers and have multi room features? Thanks for your answers and recommendations.

Old AppleTV’s (2nd and 3td gen) is cheapest solution. Yea, you have AP 1 but it doesn’t matter for SQ (you have lossless but not bit perfect signal - regardless AP or 2 gen.). The best part is TOSLINK interface on it, new ATV have only HDMI (woo). If you want something different - new Matrix Audio streamers support AP2, fantastic sound quality (streamers/DACs with net).

Raspberry Pi 3 B+, HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT, RoPieee RoonBridge It works great wired to the Devialet Phantom (ethernet>RoonBridge> SPDIF>Phantom). Very reliable and the Devialet volume control works too.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendation. Where can I buy such device? Is that expensive?

Thanks for your recommendation. Which model precisely at MATRIX AUDIO should I choose? What’s the cheapest one? Is MATRIX AUDIO devices are expensive?

There’s a bit of DIY work required in the HiFiBerry option. It can be easy or difficult, depending on abilities.

A Bluesound Node 2i is something you can buy ‘off the shelf’ - it features TOSlink output and supports RoonReady and Airplay 2 and Spotify Connect.

It depends. If you want smth compact (also good price): Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro/non Pro. You have AP2 on it.

This uses the newer RPi4. $173
It does require putting it together, which is very simple. Takes about 1/2 hour.

Just a note that the DIY HiFiBerry option does not support Airplay 2.

The Bluesound Node 2i does support official Airplay 2 and RoonReady (and Spotify Connect).