Pi Shortage no better

Interesting!

For now, I purchased a secondhand Pi for my first Roon Bridge. Works like a charm.

@brian and I use Modartt: Pianoteq on RPi 4s, and he had his die recently (rainbow screen of death). I gave him my spare, but now I have nothing to play with.

There are more expensive RockChip-based alternatives, and cheaper Nano-Pi alternatives, but I have less experience with them.

I’m considering, because of this shortage, porting RoPieee to the Odroid architecture.

7 Likes

I guess this a result of their own success and popularity combined with the global shortages. Not sure what I will do when my current batch die I only have some old v2 that don’t support Wi-Fi so these zones would be dead :frowning:

Which of their boards though? Or all ?

Which architecture would you recommend @jussi_laako for best support (NAA is supported by RoPieee XL ). If RPi Foundation suddenly vanished (example only) which would you turn to supporting

I’m looking at the Odroid C4.

2 Likes

Out of stock in my country also :grin:

I was able to get a Nanopi R4S RK3399 4GB from Amazon pretty easily.

You purchase it directly already in a fanless case. I think there is 1GB model also.

Easy access to microSD slot and 2 x USB 3.0 ports. Powered by 5Vdc USB-C like RPi4.

Supported by DietPi

But I just been testing a few POE HATs for RPi that work really well.

Powering RPi4 and other HATs over it’s ethernet port with bog standard Cat 6 UTP.

The HAT world for RPi is really good and lacking in competition SoCs.

1 Like

Out of these options, x86 since you can then run NAA OS on it.

At the moment I have one Amlogic board that is NanoPi K2:
https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_K2

I have also NanoPi Neo2 (Allwinner H5):
https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_NEO2
Which is among smallest NAA you can find.

But most of these have challenges using up to date Linux. Be it Amlogic, RockChip, Allwinner or Samsung (Exynos). Many times only Linux kernel available is old 3.14 commonly used on Android.

Then other hardware you can use, what I use (from Israel):

Most long time users remember CuBox-i. Now there’s newer alternative in CuBox-M which is pretty much something I’m using (mine is a bit older model called CuBox Pulse).

Another one I’m using (from USA):

Both of these are also available as SoMs for device manufacturers.

There is also one European manufacturer I use (Congatec), but they prefer to sell only to companies, so it is not as easy to get for hobbyist.

I don’t know much about Ropieee or DietPi, since I’ve never used those.

1 Like

x86 might be the most flexible @spockfish ?

Many more options out there for people to choose from, including fanless Intel Atom 5Vdc options.

Hi guy’s I have a couple of PI 4s that I am not currently using as I bought Roon ready kit and will have another when RooExtend 3 is released with extension manager included.

I have two with Hifiberry Hat’s (one digital coaxial & Toslink and one analogue RCA) both in Hifiberry metal cases.

DM me if you are interested, I do not agree with price gouging, but I want them to go to people that will use them and not sell them for a profit. This in part has put me off offering them before now.

Ideally I only want to ship within the UK

7 Likes

Good for you. I respect that.

Awhile ago, someone who should know better and seemingly didn’t need the money, sold Pi 3 on this forum for over $150.

2 Likes