Pi Shortage no better

Just got an email update from CPC for my shipping date for a pi zero 2w I ordered.

Hmmm, doesn’t seem to be an end to this shortage.

That’s a pretty brutal wait…

I know I’ll ring up to verify if it’s a typo as it does seem to be excessive.

It depends on the model as well.

The Zero 2 W is not going to ship this year I expect.
However, the Pi 4 is over here (NL) available by the end of June.

At least that’s what a few shops say :wink:

1 Like

I wanted the smaller form factor but it looks like I might need to review that.

Possibly old news, but according to this blog post there’s a bigger supply issue with the 40nm parts, used by the Zero 2, than the 28nm parts used by the Pi 4.

My guess is they have simply halted production and given you a date far enough off to cover the worse case scenario — that said I’d probably use another board or buy a used Zero rather than risk an unknown wait.

RPi4 4GB currently in stock at Pimoroni UK. Not much help if you’re looking for smaller form factor and will no doubt be out of stock soon.

There’s a good stock checker at https://rpilocator.com/

2 Likes

There is some stock about if you are willing to buy a kit and/or pay slightly over msrp.
I managed to source both a pi zero 2 w and a pi4 fairly close to retail price in the last couple of weeks.

Pihut have had pi4 kits in stock more or less constantly for the last few month.

The issue is being kits, they tend to be Kano ones I don’t need all the extra stuff they come with so it’s a waste.

1 Like

Another update now moved to January 2024 lol. This really is hilarious.

First post in a while … tried to delete the post and change how my username showed on the forum … got locked out … :expressionless:

Anyway, just wanted to share that there are Raspberry Pi alternatives out there with minimal wait times … I recently got an Odroid C4 with HiFiShield+ DAC HAT and a Nano Pi R4S … both received in less than two weeks with international shipping, and both run roonbridge (and plexamp, and others) no problem

2 Likes

I got the NanoPi R4S recently - very nice. Running 64-bit DietPi

I also recently got an RPi4 and Compute Module 4 - but we have buying limits which is fair (1 per customer).

Really like the heavy/solid metal case for the NanoPi R4S … no risk of getting pulled off the table by all the audio/power/network cables :slight_smile: … and I’m now using it’s 2nd ethernet port as a bridge to connect the Odroid (neither of these has built-in WiFi)

1 Like

You can add a USB WiFi adapter - any with MT7612U driver will work really well with any kernel v5.15 (or higher) distro

On DietPi I only needed to run " G_AGI usb-modeswitch" command manually - DietPi dev said they would include this in future DietPi version

I have both of thesE:

1 Like

It will be added to RoPieee as well. I’ve ordered the unit myself to test.

1 Like

I also ordered this more compact one (same great MT7612U chipset) in case the big folding one is too clunky.

Tradeoff is smaller antenna/gain but I will test.

It should arrive tomorrow

I had ordered mine last February and the ship date was April. Still waiting.

Maybe this is the reason for the shortage

2 Likes

We thought we could help and called the raspberry pi foundation to place a large order assuming it would be easier to get a bulk order for our users. We tried to get 2,000 raspberry pi 4s. They told us end of 2023 at best, and possibly into 2024. :frowning:

6 Likes

Back in 2016 I made 2 operating systems:

RCK (Roon Core Kit) and RBK (Roon Bridge Kit) – the community made me stick an O into the RCK, and that became ROCK.

We never released RBK because it was optimized for RPi2, which was plagued with USB bus bandwidth issues, and the 3/3+ were not out yet.

When the 3 came out, Ropiee and others filled the void.

I have ideas for the RPi 4, including making it act as a “display zone” and supporting extensions – but this shortage has killed all my drive to finish up that work.

3 Likes