Play count not updating as expected

My original thread has been closed so I am posting this again.

If I pause and resume a song it often counts as 2+ plays and also double scrobbling in Last.fm. This happens in Roon and Roon Arc.

Even after multiple updates, this issue has NOT been fixed.

2 Likes

This was posted on December 22:

Personally, I could understand that it’s not entirely easy to solve. E.g., if I pause and continue immediately, that should count as one play. But if I pause it in a different zone, leave it for two days, and then continue, I might consider this two plays. The track played once all through, but I cared to listed to it twice, in a way. Others may see it differently.

From my POV. If I start a song, pause it midway. Go to the moon and return. If I then hit play and hear the song end. I’ve played it through 1x. I start and stop it 15 times to explain lyrics, still made it through 1 time.

There is a tunable option to set how much of a song needs to play to count as having played. Somewhere this is being tracked. I am unsure how it is being counted. I tried to screenshot it but can no longer find te setting.

Another whatever they do will end up irritating X% of userbase I think.

Yeah, and to me, I played it two times. While …

That’s once for me, too.

I believe that this is precisely why it’s not entirely easy, and like you say inevitable that it will not fit everyone. I’m ok with that :slight_smile:

I never saw that. However, it would be nice if the play history was more editable, then everyone could solve it. Currently, it’s only possible to delete plays, which is fair enough. However, the ability to add virtual plays would help with the play count in Roon for different needs, but even beyond - if I play the vinyl, clicking an “add play to history” would be cool

1 Like

I’ve reopened it and merged topics.

Any updates on the fix? cc @Carl

I’ve recently noticed that this seems to happen when transferring the queue between zones as well. While I don’t mind so much seeing a track split up in the playback history according to events such as lengthy pauses or zone transfers, the fact that these events are represented as unique play counts is very frustrating.

I’m not big on manually favoriting or ranking/rating media, be it movies, tv shows or music. Because of this, I really appreciate tools and software that track and present my watching/listening behavior. I can use this data to remind me of things that I really enjoyed, kept going back to and when (over time). This is one of the things that drew me to Roon. The ability to see my listening habits and trends both in the Roon UI and in Last.FM is very useful to me.

As a lifetime Roon subscriber, it’s frustrating to me that this core feature/functionality (track play counter) flaw has gone this long without a fix, or even a solid timeline expectation. Can we please get some sort of commitment on this fix? Thank you!

@connor @brian are there any updates on this issue?

I’ll post just so you can post again… I feel your pain, and at this point I simply have to assume that Roonlabs doesn’t care anymore about how users feel with regard to the terrible support…

1 Like

thank you Andreas

though… i stopped uselessly reporting “glitches” a long time ago: all I care about is my music and… play/stop/pause buttons working correctly :grin:

Agreed. Thank you, @Andreas_Philipp1. I’d still like to see this issue addressed. It may seem small to some but I think it matters. If something basic like this never gets fixed it may be something more critical next time that goes unresolved.

Ultimately, how these issues are resolved (fixed or not) determines confidence in the platform and company going forward and whether to abandon hope and move on or not.

Yes, can confirm still hasn’t been fixed and it bothers me a lot still. Thanks for reviving the thread.

2 Likes

A different question right back to you… Why have track play counter functionality at all, if it doesn’t work reliably?

Such as this, there are quite a few niggling functional inadecuacies hidden in Roon… Most have been documented and asked for by users to be addressed, but mostly without any commitment by Roon staff to take this seriously. Taken together, this undermines user satisfaction and the company’s credibility.

My playlist containing Qobuz tracks show 0 play counts but local files do reflect counts.

just to say here that this problem of the counts and the “History” section, I highlighted it in the early access program in July 2022 bringing various examples and situations. For me too this is an annoying bug both for the wrong information I get and for those roon features that rely on this data.
I believe that fixing this bug is not so simple perhaps because the way roon counts and when it should consider a song completed needs to be rewritten. And I think it’s not high on the priority list, so it will lead to long wait times (assuming they decide the effort to fix it is worth the time and resources spent)

I totally understand that many may see this as a minor issue and sure, when I entered the conversation a year ago I didn’t expect it to be a high priority for Roon. That said, I do think it is a pretty significant defect that ruins features intended to provide users with listening history insights. As such, I do think it is worth fixing.

As I’ve mentioned, my only expectation is that a reasonable fix target be set and communicated. After a year or more, I don’t that that’s too much to ask. At a minimum, a frank “We aren’t going to fix this” is preferable to what’s been stated so far.

2 Likes

Having the same issue here and only really noticed it since starting to make use of Roon ARC. Have to delete multiple duplicate track scrobbles on Last.FM. Appears to be whenever a song is interrupted. Hopefully this gets resolved.

1 Like

I’m also having this issue. Play count and last.fm scrobbles are being counted twice when songs are paused and then restarted. This happens at home and using ARC. I’ve stopped using ARC while driving as it double counts whenever I stop and then start at a later time. When I’m at home I make sure I pause/stop songs near the beginning to make sure they are not double counted. It would be good if play counts and scrobbles only count at the end of the song (i.e. 100% played); or maybe have an option in settings to force this behaviour. I know it is only a small issue, but as I use plycounts for sorting/focus, I’m finding that I spend too much time thinking about reducing the double counts…

1 Like

afair… I reported this issue 6 or 7 years ago :rage:

good luck! :joy:

2 Likes

for now, the only way to have a correct count is to go to the History section, select and delete the additional ones. If, in addition to counting, you are interested in ensuring that the track is 100% played, you should delete them all from the History section, activate a “virtual zone” on the PC where you have installed Roon server (basically an area available but not actually connected to any device output) and play the track there. This way you will recover the correct count (unless Roon crashes during playback, in which case you will have to repeat the procedure).

I know, it’s very boring but there are no alternatives