"Play rest of album starting with this track" option

No, on this occasion not. Simply because it flies in the face of common sense and, also, because I didn’t start this thread. Indeed I notice that a few threads have been raised on this subject.

Not sure why you’re defending this so strongly, I mean surely a simple select button would be enough to enable/disable such a feature. I can’t see the need to debate the merits of a feature that is on every CD player ever made.

Not necessarily - there could be multiple buttons in the popup (as there are now, just a couple more). Thanks!

Have another look at it again…each ‘Pawmasher’ choice applies to your previous choice [e.g. Play Album, Track, Favourites etc]

Simply adding Play from Here to the pawmasher option means that the ONLY option would to immediately stop playing whatever is currently playing and to play the album from where you’ve chosen [just as iTunes does, as it doesn’t have a queue]

If you want the same choices for “Play from here”, then there would need to be more buttons on the same screen…or else a 3rd screen asking essentially "Ok, you want to play Album from Track 2…now do you wish to Add to Queue OR Play Next OR Play Now??

Have another look at the screens in question and you will see what I mean

Wouldn’t we still be trying to invent a faster horse if we all thought like that? :wink:

2 Likes

Squeeze / LogitechMediaServer have had this option for years :-

Play Other Song in Album : Play only selected song / Play other songs in album or directory

It’s in settings. It works. Whether you’re a glass-half-full person, or a glass-half-empty, you have your choice…

2 Likes

The whole thrust of what I am saying is that this is how music has been played since recordings began. Some days I might have time/want to listen to the whole of an album, other times I might want/only be able to play part of it. Continuous play enables this feature at the touch of a button.

With Roon, I have to program every single thing I want to listen to, short of a whole album.

Sorry but that ain’t progress.

1 Like

So rather than it being an “Oversight”…it’s actually a carefully considered Design Choice

Indeed. Carefully considered is an understatement with this one.

YES! A “Play from here” feature is missing. I was going to post this myself!

1 Like

Roon does things differently. It’s what I really enjoy about it.

Can’t speak for the OP, but I defend the design choices I like because I don’t want to lose the new experience they provide.

That doesn’t mean I think your or anyone else’s suggestions aren’t good. However, I’d hate to lose the current experience at the expense of them.

Building your queue in Roon works differently than in other applications, but it works.

1 Like

I didn’t see where anyone is suggesting losing the current paradigm, just adding an alternative. And really Roon should be working to have as wide an appeal as possible.

Not trying to suggest that they did.

Just giving an alternate point of view.

Agreed. A simple config option that can be toggled and everyone’s tastes are catered for.

I actually think a play from here now would be fine. I often use Roon just to play an album or part of an album, rather than to build a long playlist, so that would be sufficient (with perhaps a UI that involves an extra click if you really want to add to end of playlist)
The thing I find interesting about the resistance to this is that I thought part of the vision of Roon was to bring back that experience of owning an album as a precious thing - with artwork, notes etc - and part of the appeal of an album is being able to drop in anywhere and play from there onwards.
Thanks for your consideration!

Before I begin I am definitely not against having a greater set of options.

I don’t believe that all CD players had a play from anywhere with one click function, many would require play then skip to the track you want to start from; roon is still a simplification of this. For those lucky enough to have a spinner with a numeric keypad you may have been able to start an album from any track with one click but you did have to get up to put it on! When CD players became programmable, now that was clunky. And vinyl?! I’m glad I don’t have to go upstairs to turn roon over! Playlist and play cue just weren’t options… So I feel we have progress.

I love the way that roon allows me to interact with my music, a different but well though out approach.
Again I’m not against the choice but as @Jeffrey says I definitely don’t want to lose the current way of thinking.

1 Like

:smile: I love it!

Just jumping in here again to ask what the progress is on this incredibly basic feature? It’s beyond annoying not to have it. There are so many albums where I like to play the last xx number of tracks and it is a total, clunky pain to have to program each one of them or go to the ridiculous length of creating a playlist, which doesn’t work right anyway, as I often change the range of tracks I start from with the same album.

This, in combination with the as yet unreleased IOS app, is actually starting to make me think that a regular return to JRiver might be a better option overall, which would be sad, because Roon is so excellent in most other respects.

2 Likes

Hi Chris, you don’t have to create play lists, did you see this that I previously posted?

I actually use both depending on the style of music listening I want to do. I am a active listener that usually only listens to cherry picked tracks; I really never use the “play from here” feature found in Jriver.

What bothers me more with Roon is the PawMasher screen. And this is because I will use a mouse with Roon and not a touch screen tablet. It is more convenient for me to right click and have a context menu to “Add to Queue” than to have a whole screen take over my viewing experience.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I did read it, but that’s a lot of fiddling about on Splashtop. Roon should be as easy to use as a CD player or, for that matter, other software like JRiver. I find this an utterly bizarre design decision, but then you’re talking about a design team that didn’t introduce Asio support until many of us early adopters all asked why it wasn’t included at release, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

I guess that’s the perennial dilemma for all early adopters … some features are available from day 1.

How does that phrase go …