"Play rest of album starting with this track" option

I agree, but to launch without Asio was pretty mind boggling for software like this, especially as it seemed Roon didn’t originally consider it particularly important…

I’m in total agreement with Chris - it can’t be that difficult :-1:

SqueezeServer / LogitechMediaServer has an option for this, and has a button-bar next to albums / songs etc in nearly every window / option.
You can do whatever you want from wherever you want : play a single track, play an album, play from a certain point in an album onwards (or not, if that’s what you prefer), add a track (or an album) to the end of your currently-playing-playlist, or insert it into the playlist next, or…

5 Likes

As with my thread on ‘I hate horizontal scrolling’ the key issue here is user choice. In situations where choice is relatively easy to implement, it should be offered. Straightjacketing the user is not great practice. Still loving Roon though (-:

1 Like

Short of a UI change, I would like to have the option under settings to change the behavior between “Play rest of album” and “Play this single song”. While I appreciate that some folks see the shift/control-click process as ideal, it is not my preferred method of interaction with the interface when I want to start an album from any point other than the first song.

-snip- for a different thread

1 Like

One day into my trial, and I would also like to continue to play from wherever I start. It’s not the highest priority for me, but in terms of any piece of audi gear I’ve used to date, it seems somehow illogical not to.

It’s not a showstopper for me and I’m not interested in debates about how this feature should be implemented. That said, it’s something I’ve always thought would be welcome in both Sooloos and Roon.

Hi

This is something I want to see also. I agree its very annoying. There are a number of things I think Roon have misjudged, horizontal scrolling being another. Its just counter to almost any other applications operation.

The software release is also IMO been somewhat premature. The lack of IOS app, lack of roonspeakers to play remotely to simple end points (something that I used to do with DNLA which worked just fine - I dont care how much Roon thin its a bad technical solution) etc. I used to use my ipad with jriver and sit back and relax with the music streaming to an RPI connected my mdac. Now I am tethered with my laptop to the mdac with a USB cable.

When the ipad app is released I hope it isn’t just another direct port of the PC app. It will simply be too small to use on an ipad mini.

So, come on Roon, how long will we need to wait for these features? I am also thinking a return to Jriver might just be the right thing to do, at least until Roon has matured and developed.

2 Likes

If the Android application is any predictor, then , the IOS application will be exactly like the PC app. I believe the point is to have the same interface between computer and tablet based computing, in the beginning. That, I believe, is why there is a minimum vertical resolution ( 720 dpi) and a minimum screen size for proper use. I think a 9" or better tablet will work just fine.

So as I expect, no good for an iPad mini.

Just about every other application there is has dedicated versions for tablets because they know full well a direct port doesn’t work on a small screen.

…and no I don’t want to shell out on a larger more cumbersome tablet.

2 Likes

It’s actually fine on an iPad mini. The 4:3 aspect ratio makes all of the difference. I have larger and faster Android tablets on hand, and an iPad Mini 2 has quickly become my favorite remote.

1 Like

Well, then you should be all over the faster lighter 4:3 ratio Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 when it comes out.

Thanks for the feedback Brian.

Interestingly this is the only thing my wife called me over for on her inaugural Roon day “I just can’t get it to play from where I start. It just plays one track.”
Otherwise, very positive feedback so far.

1 Like

I’m really liking v. 1.1 but there is still one feature I’d love to see that, I believe, is lacking, Unless I have missed it, there is no way to select a track on an album, and then have Roon continue playback of that album from that point, rather than stopping or going to Radio. I’m not a fan of the Queue since I don’t really like to program what I want to hear in advance. I often want to select a track and then let album playback continue from there. Not everyone would want to do this but can this be created as an option for playback? Other software allows this. Thanks.

2 Likes

When I want to achieve this I simply highlight the user-start track and the subsequent tracks and hit PLAY. It takes a couple of clicks to do this.

see example to play from Track 7 onwards.

I also think this is the most problematic thing with ROON. I want to be able to choose an option where I can play number 2 in an album and then it finished the album automatically. This is something my family immediately could not understand. If you put in a CD and press number 2 it always finishes the album. This is how the intuition is - similarly with an LP for that sake…so please do give us this option!

1 Like

Another vote for this - simply right-click on the start track and select “Play from here”

5 Likes

Cleanest idea I’ve heard so far for how to support this functionality.

Something like this, where the “play from here” button is only active if just one track is selected.

Enlarged top section

1 Like

Yes that looks really good! Or in setting with an option to choose radio or continued play?