Playback of Atmos

DRP will see this aggregate DAC as an output. So yes.

really dont see this happening until Tidal natively supports Atmos on its desktop app. for now you can only access atmos through something like android tv / nvidia shield as well as on mobile devices (lol)

really dont see this happening until Tidal natively supports Atmos on its desktop app

I don’t really see what the relationship is between Roon supporting Atmos and the Tidal desktop app supporting it. However, the Tidal desktop app on MacOS does support Atmos. (Atmos is only supported on 2018 or later Macs.) It also works on AppleTV.

on mobile devices (lol)

Having Atmos on mobile devices actually makes sense. Tidal supports Sony 360 Reality Audio, for example.

2 Likes

Agree, we want atmos.

3 Likes

I would pay for this as an add-on feature. Just like I did on my Xbox One X. It’s brilliant!

3 Likes

Please make sure you vote for this feature request! Scroll to the top and the button is on the left.

3 Likes

Some new vehicles are now supporting ATMOS and it’s only a matter of time until Qobuz catches up to Apple / Amazon / Tidal, so it would be great if Roon and ARC could follow suit.

2 Likes

Just returned from a trip to Seattle. Listened to my brothers’ surround sound system (Macintosh processor/preamp, Macintosh power amp, Martin Logan speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. I was very much impressed with the sound. Atmos-encoded content was generally well-done. Some gimmicky (Billie Eilish), some outstanding (The Doors- Riders On the Storm). Even non-Atmos content decoded by DTS: Neural X was interesting. Admittedly I’m coming from a perspective where separation and soundstage could use some improvement (Golden Ears 3D array XL soundbar). Purists will most likely dismiss Atmos, but for me it makes listening more immersive. Until Roon makes up its’ mind about Atmos I am lucky that I can stream Tidal thru my Sony Bravia TV. For me it’s worth the price increase.

2 Likes

Atmos is a great step up from normal surroundsound. Positional audio is amazing and how it skills. It truly is the right way to go. Everything from stereo on up benefits. Sounds like you were in my neck of the woods, ha ha! I would love to see roon somehow support Atmos, that would make my audio chain a lot more simple…

1 Like

[I just voted to support this!]

Out of curiosity I listened to a few Atmos tracks on Tidal over the weekend via Android TV fed to my Dirac Live AVR, the experience completely blew me away!

All the qualities that audiophiles chase after like precision, depth, space, clarity, height seem to have been easily achieved without even a serious DAC in between.

I am sure not all Atmos mixes are like what I heard but the potential of this is huge!!

Then I found out Roon still doesn’t support Dolby Atmos and landed on this thread.

For those who have been monitoring this thread, has Roon Team responded even once? This thread has high number of votes and views, so I’m surprised if they haven’t even acknowledged.

5 Likes

Maybe a “Best Atmos Mixes I Have Heard” would encourage possible users. I have a few
Rocket Man
Riders On the Storm
The Great Curve (Talking Heads)
Papa Was A Rolling Stone

I have heard a lot that are too gimmicky and overdone as well. Its all in the mastering i think.

1 Like

Surely you mean “it’s all in the mixing”?

Well, with Atmos, I would say its all in the algorithm, since there really isnt a separate stream per endpoint like normal multi-channel, but, a set of algorithms to process the surround channels from the “bed” using a

" … Dolby Atmos object audio renderer. During playback, each theater’s Dolby Atmos system renders the audio objects in real time based on the known locations of the loudspeakers present in the target theater, such that each audio object is heard as originating from its designated set of coordinates.[9] By way of contrast, conventional multichannel technology essentially burns all the source audio tracks into a fixed number of channels during post-production."

Yes you are right. But don’t call me Shirley :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

The Atmos objects still have to be tagged properly and this is done by people. Also, when Atmos is played there are no bed channels (except for the sub), everything is object based so the “algorithms” (i.e. the AVR) aren’t doing anything with the bed channels. The bed channels are only used by AVRs that can’t play Atmos.

1 Like

Hi.

I believe that’s not correct.

The full Dolby Atmos mix includes the bed channels (usually 7.1.2, but may differ) plus the Atmos Objects on top of it.

The bed channels are only there for backwards compatibility. They are not used for Atmos playback. During Atmos playback the objects are used instead (with the exception of the sub). Mediainfo a movie with an Atmos soundtrack (DD+ or TrueHD) and you will see what I mean. I have yet to come across an Atmos movie with more bed channels than just the sub.

Another reason to support Atmos in Roon:

The Atmos mixes are much more dynamic than the regular stereo mix.

Even if you just want two channel, you’ll get better audio quality by playing the Atmos version on a two channel setup Vs the regular stereo copy (in terms of dynamics).

2 Likes

This observation has me in agreement. Quiet passages are truly that, while more energetic passages are, as you said, dynamic. Just my opinion here, no measurements except my ears

Wow! The Apple Dolby Atmos version of “Shania Twain - Queen of Me” is the best of all the other versions in the review linked above in crowlem’s post. The bass is deeper and tighter than the stereo versions. Apple has done a tremendous job with their atmos music. I am surprised that a lossy atmos format bested the lossless hires format. I am seriously looking into subscribing to Apple Music for their atmos content. It would be nice if Roon allowed the bitstream to my AVR system, and for roon to play mkv files, bitstream to my receiver to allow TrueHD atmos files to play from my Nas or Rock nuc. I find myself buying more and more bluray audio discs and many of them come with a Dolby TrueHD atmos tracks. It would be amazing if roon could play the mkv files rather than using multiple user interfaces. Love multichannel music!!!

4 Likes