Playing CDs with Roon

SM31.

I agree that producs have their focus.

I dont agree that limiting Roon’s ability to play music from a cd and rip it to the library is a plus, or that adding it would hurt.

To me its the natural thing to have. If Roon if software to play mostly ripped music, also downloaded, but in reality any real music afficiando has a sizable cd collection that has to be ripped, and some music is not available online so it has to be ripped.

Lets see the difference in the procedure to get exactly the same rip at the same library location…

I have a friend that has a large Jazz collection. He comes over to experience music on my systrem with my brand new Roon software. We start the session and he says he has one of his non mainstream Jazz cd’s ( he used to be a Jazz record buyer for a distributor).
He asks for me to play it…

Scenario 1: I insert it on my pc drive… Roon sees it, asks if I want to play it… I hit play. At the same time it plays, Roon rips it to the library.
Once the CD is over, I give it back, but it stays on my library.

Scenatio 2: I insert the disk.
I have to click windows start menu, find the ripping software and click it.
The ripping software opens and
I have to click the options to rip the cd drive.
Then after it finishes ripping, Roon has to import it from music library location.
Then I have to search for it in Roon and hit play.

It does not strike me as the same or a 2 minute job. Ill do it if I must, but its disadvantegeous to the intuitiveness of Roon considering that music cds have to br ripped.

Anyhow, Roons people will decide in th end whether it will be included or not.

2 Likes