Playing Tidal HiRes FLAC (new Max files)

Peter, did you get exclusive access to build this out? Or was it released to all vendors and you were just quicker to the punch?

(if the questions is to me). I updated to 17.0a today after Lumin app update, and reminder (I think I saw this first on Facebook Lumin group from Peter). I was not on 17 early adoption firmware (Peter was asking in the other thread for early adopters). So, just regular updates. All worked just fine.

BTW upgrade to 17.0a was fast … so it seems to “small” firmware increment. There were firmawares which took much longer.

My question was to Peter. Just wondering if Tidal gave him access before other vendors or he just happened to be the first to get the update out. More of a question of how soon could we expect roon or others to rollout.

I see. I am not using Tidal app, I use mostly Roon and ocasionaly Lumin. So, I am not ble to tell what was before in Tidal. Even Tidal app shows now MAX, no odea if that was before yesterday

Volumio says they have Tidal hi-res FLAC working, just waiting for Tidal to let them release it.

In case anybody still cares about MQA, I think Lumin app access to Tidal MAX is the best way to compare sound quality of MQA vs Hi-Res FLAC on Lumin models with analog output, although it is not exactly easy to find the same album available in both formats on Tidal. I guarantee that non-MQA album playback on Lumin does not go through MQA processing (the same cannot be said for some USB MQA DAC.)

4 Likes

I have the cd tier of tidal presently, until Roon supports the Hi Res streams … To avoid the MQA I set roon to consider MQA as worse than cd quality, that was in just get the flac steam, I’ve never seen it play MQA.