Playing Tidal HiRes FLAC (new Max files)

As many of you know, Tidal has just rolled out HiRes FLAC files to those on its early access program. You need to access the files via its Test Flight iOS app, and then use Tidal Connect to your Lumin device. Importantly, you need to turn off MQA decoding in the Lumin app, otherwise it will default to the MQA stream.

See attached, playing 48kHz and 24 bit.

2 Likes

It appears that I may be listening to un-decoded MQA files, as @wklie has posted elsewhere that Tidal needs to update its API before we can access HiRes FLAC.

2 Likes

To facilitate my work, please find any three Hi-Res albums >=96kHz from Tidal iOS beta app, and let me know their album / artist / sample rate.

This is much appreciated.

I am not able to do this myself because TestFlight asks me for an invitation code that I don’t have, and HiRes is not yet available in Android beta.

1 Like

Is it possible on the Tidal app to find the sample rate of a track? I can’t seem to find it.

When Tidal added Master MQA, they added a Master logo indication to tracks. Do they offer another Hi-Res logo in the beta?

I assume when you’re playing a track, it shows the sample rate?

2 Likes

The new ID for a FLAC hi-res track is “Max.” Apparently, playing a MAX file should default to a hi-res file and not an MQA file. But there is no way that I can discern that is happening, as the app doesn’t give sample rate (I don’t think.)

2 Likes

Using an iPad Tidal app direct output to a USB MQA DAC, this album is tested to be non-MQA 96kHz.

The 48kHz stream you saw was a raw MQA stream without any MQA decoding.

Neither third party (Roon or Lumin) Tidal playback nor Tidal Connect can play MAX quality at the time of this post.

I am following up with Tidal, again.

2 Likes

Status of Lumin playing Tidal Hi-Res FLAC:

I have been asking Tidal to provide the technical resources to allow for Lumin app playback of Tidal Hi-Res FLAC via Tidal native API, and for Lumin Tidal Connect. Until this happens, Lumin playback of Tidal remains the same as before. Tidal MAX albums will usually become MQA instead of the new Hi-Res FLAC versions.

3 Likes

Thanks for trying to get TIDAL to make its new MAX files actually available for listening!

1 Like

Please try Lumin Firmware 17 - and update Tidal app to the latest version.

When you receive Lumin app 9.0 for iOS or 6.0 for Android, re-login to Tidal.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust Tidal MAX claims at all!

Are you saying you have the Max update? Can’t tell. If so, that should mean roon is close behind. I’m holding off trying Tidal again until the update is released. If Spotify comes out with their lossless tier first, probably try that first.

For testing FLAC 24/192, try John Williams – The Berlin Concert, and various Star Wars soundtracks.

3 Likes

Peter, I executed the firmware update and updated the Lumin iOS app. After logging out of Tidal and then logging in again, I tried the John Williams album that you suggested. Works perfectly! Thanks!

1 Like

This is how Lumin app differentiates among MQA / Hi-Res versions. With this users can choose their desired format, which is currently not allowed in Tidal app.

7 Likes

Easy to distinguish MQA from FLAC hires, now labeled MAX. Eager for Roon to follow Lumin’s excellent lead! Thanks to @wklie and the always spot-on Lumin team!

4 Likes

The “My Mixes” selections on Tidal now favor MAX where available.

2 Likes

1 Like

Hopefully we’ll be seeing Max in roon’s early release soon.

Oh and noticed Tidal Connect too. So imagine that’s rolling out to other companies too.

2 Likes

I have updated Lumin app and can see MAX (and MQA titles). When MAX is played, FLAC respective hires rate is displayed in app and in on Lumin (mine is U1) display. Firmware 17.0a updated in the unit. Works fine - and Thank You Lumin team for being No1 in implementing MAX for the Lumin product family. Even older products are not ignored.

Now it is ROON’s turn … the same track is “MQA” branded on Lumin unit.

1 Like