Playlist (m3u) Export WITHOUT the music files

I thought the Roon folks said the number of people supporting a feature request on the forum did not influence their decisions. Why would votes matter more than people saying they support it in a thread?

Hi,
I recall Roon saying they took notice of constructive use cases that supported a feature rather than +1s.
However, voting is different to +1s as each user has only a limited number of votes so it tends to focus ones attention as to where they are cast, rather than "+1"ing a multitude of topics.

Keeping this one alive. After going through a very long (and somewhat painful) process of exporting huge playlists with the media just so I could get the resulting m3u’s in order to preserve the playlist ordering, I voted for this one. Seemed silly to transfer 1k’s of actual songs to a temp machine from the NAS only to turn around and immediately delete them b/c I just wanted the m3u’s.

An option during export to not export the music seems like a small ask…

1 Like

Would a baby step in the right direction be to include track sequence/order within the Playlist Export to Excel option, so we don’t have to recreate that manually? I want to use it for taking playlists on the go (without access to the Internet). Alternatively, I could use an Export Playlist with a conversion of FLACs to MP3s (my car can’t play FLACs), but this seems like a bridge too far! :woman_shrugging:

There is a post on how to mod a Roon-created XLSX file to use it with Windows, but it doesn’t work on a Mac networked to a SonicTransporter USB drive.

Below, I’ve listed all the ways I can copy the path. None of them works inside an M3U or M3U8 file. Does anyone know how to fix this? TIA

UNIX

/Volumes/usbdrive/ROON LIBRARY/A/A Forest Mighty Black/Mellowdramatic/01-01 - Mellowdramatic - A Forest Mighty Black - Minigame.flac

HFS

usbdrive:ROON LIBRARY:A:A Forest Mighty Black:Mellowdramatic:01-01 - Mellowdramatic - A Forest Mighty Black - Minigame.flac

WINDOWS

\Volumes\usbdrive\ROON LIBRARY\A\A Forest Mighty Black\Mellowdramatic\01-01 - Mellowdramatic - A Forest Mighty Black - Minigame.flac

TERMINAL

/Volumes/usbdrive/ROON\ LIBRARY/A/A\ Forest\ Mighty\ Black/Mellowdramatic/01-02\ -\ Mellowdramatic\ -\ A\ Forest\ Mighty\ Black\ -\ Duel\ With\ a\ So(u)l.flac

URL

file:///Volumes/usbdrive/ROON%20LIBRARY/A/A%20Forest%20Mighty%20Black/Mellowdramatic/01-01%20-%20Mellowdramatic%20-%20A%20Forest%20Mighty%20Black%20-%20Minigame.flac

NAME

01-01 - Mellowdramatic - A Forest Mighty Black - Minigame.flac

Hi everyone, I am now doing a trial with Roon and had that same question and saw that Roon exports to an Excel (xlsx) file that has the full file paths in the last column (M). Delete all columns except for column M. Change the title of the column to #EXTM3U. Change the file paths in the Excel file so that it matches the relative file paths of your music files (that are in the playlist). In my case (files on NAS, all of its drives are mapped to my laptop) the relative file path would start with W:/[NAS share]/, which means in the Roon Excel file I would replace /var/packages/RoonServer/target/roonmnt/ with W:/[NAS share]/. Next step is to safe the file as a CSV file, giving it whatever name you want. After that change the file extension from .CSV to .M3U. Done. No need for Soundiiz, no need to export music files in order to create an .m3u file.

You may find it helpful to read through the how-to of Webtools, which is a tool to export Plex playlists to a CSV file and describes (in more detail) what i explained about changing a CSV file into an M3U by changing the file paths, the column header, saving it as a CSV, then simply changing the file extension from CSV to M3U.

Good luck everyone.

4 Likes

While this sounds easy and is likely possible, it is a lot of work to get this process to work. This should be a seamless process. My point is that if you export to Excel, you should be able to import from Excel.
Why do I want an easy import? I have many playlists and would like to easily compare and modify these off line from Roon (perhaps in Excel) and then load them back into Roon. Let’s face it the Roon interface is not pretty when it comes to changing and comparing playlists. The M3U is only good between disparate systems, it if not easy to change or manipulate. Please allow us to import an Excel file, just as it possible to export it.

1 Like