Please Can Roon Provide an Update on their 1.8 Remediation Plans

The thread title is self explanatory

4 Likes

They have never announced timelines or deadlines ASAIK. Many of the things discussed here will be addressed, I imagine, some wonā€™t, and some may be backburnered. But donā€™t wait for any plans.

That may be the case @John_V but I, like many people active on this forum, paid a hell of a lot of money for a service they are no longer satisfied with. So, with that in mind, Iā€™ll ask again. When are Roon going to provide an update?

3 Likes

This thread is a compilation of posts by Roon staff regarding 1.8 issues.

Roon doesnā€™t provide dates for software releases. You can expect that development and implementation of fixes referred to in those posts have a high priority. Once the fixes have been developed and tested they will be released.

6 Likes

Will you be happy (as a product owner/seller) if the customers will give you such an answer: I do not provide dates on my payments. I expect that development and implementation of roonā€™s self-induced 1.8 issues to be the only priority. Once the fixes have been developed and tested to my userā€™s satisfaction, Iā€™ll think about continuing my payments.

1 Like

Moderators are not Roon employees, just volunteer users. Iā€™m telling other users what has happened in the past and is likely to happen in the future. People are free to complain that they donā€™t like it and would prefer Roon to do something else.

Speaking for myself I prefer that Roon err on the side of releasing changes when they are thoroughly tested so as to minimise disruption to users. No one benefits from rushing a fix that creates more problems than it solves. Testing is an iterative process. You develop a fix and test it. If there is a reversion or bug you develop a revised fix and test it. The process is inherently incompatible with a fixed date for release. Roon themselves only know whether a fix can be released after testing.

5 Likes

So, will you be happy or not? (joke, I understand your position here and anyway it was not my intention to offend you).

No worries. I just get paranoid that people think I represent Roon. Itā€™s probably the avatar which is completely indistinguishable from Roon staff.

Have you entered such a condition into the Agreement with Roon?

To be fair, nowhere in that agreement either is a possibility for Roon to have its software simply stop working while continuing to charge customers for it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if ROONā€s lack of customer response and customer-centric behaviour will change now that Spotify CD quality is on the horizon. If not theyā€™ll be an interesting failed business case study in years to come. Iā€™m a lifer so have little recourse other than shutting up and accepting the fixes when ROON in itā€™s wisdom decides Iā€™m worthy of assistance.

3 Likes

But intersection of Roon and Spotify users sets is probably rather small.
Iā€™m pretty sure that Target is rather differentā€¦
So competition is not a threat here I think.

That was a hypothetical statement, because I sincerely didnā€™t like @andybobā€™s answer.
Going real, I believe that if you are on the monthly payment plan (Iā€™m not) you can start/stop the payment at will, as you are/not satisfied with the product.

So do I, so how come the car crash that is 1.8 was released?

2 Likes

According with roon this is their most successfully update. Go figureā€¦

3 Likes

Car crash? Zero issues here.

2 Likes

Lucky you, you obviously didnā€™t use the features that were available in 1.7 but withdrawn in 1.8

2 Likes

I am indeed missing nothing and like the update and no issues running Roon as has been the case for the past 6 years. I just thought ā€˜car crashā€™ bit overstatement.

1 Like

More to the point:

Roon 1.8 (Build 763) is Live! - Roon Software / Software Release Notes - Roon Labs Community

1 Like

Itā€™s a disaster. This is VERY expensive to give this service.