Please explain what "Extensions" are

I received today an email from Roon (Mastery series 84/100) inviting me to explore “Extensions”.

The text is in English technically, but totally incomprehensible to me. The entries in the “Roon API category” of the community, which is referenced in the email, are even more incomprehensible.

Could someone explain in plain English what “Extensions” are, and why one would need them?

Thank you.

Extensions are separate programmes rather like plugin architecture for other programmes that can add or extend functionality in Roon. They come in all forms.

The utilise the Roon API for remote control of amplifiers and such it normally cannot.

Allow a bridge between UPnP/DNLA renders and Roon allowing these audio devices to work with Roon.

One allows you to capture a stream or analogue source using another piece of equipment such as an ADC to feed it into Roon so you can get your turntable output or any analogue source into Roon and be multiroom and make use of its DSP.

Some create a basic remote control and show what’s playing on other little computers and screens such as a raspberry pi SBC.

They are made by the Roon community as side projects, some charge most are free but do require some computer knowledge to get running.

I use a number of them all the time.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! Very clear and helpful. I know now what to look for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.