Please help a n00b with Roon Server on Fedore 36

I have read it and do not understand it. Having said that, that describes the level of unfamiliarity for me. How do I run a script?

You simply could not help yourself? OCD? Well my diagnosis is autism. Guess we all have one?

I have provided all the necessary steps, which you enter into the terminal.

Are you running a desktop version? That’s unnecessary and not recommended for running Roon Server.

Also, a rolling release such as Fedora is not the best choice if you are new to Linux. You’d be better off using Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS.

Incidentally, you may have issues running Roon Server on Fedora. I just remembered an issue I encountered with Roon Bridge.

I think you have misjudged me. I am attempting to help you.

What I’m saying is that both setups are likely to sound different because they are not doing the same thing.

I need help installing a roon core on a Fedora 36. Not help with determining the different playback results. As I have said once before, I do it one finally again, the result is clearly audible when playing Roon to HQP upsampling compared to playing HQP player to HQP upsampling with identical re-sampling settings. So depending on the input player bit-perfect-roon or bit-something-hqp player to the HQP re-sampler section, the output result differs hughly, and with the benefits in favour of HQP player. That is what puzzling me and driving me to find a way to install a roon core on the same computer as the HQP is. That would give the same bitstream, entering the same computer using the same network adapter, ending up upsampled output via same USB controller hifi-card. Any differences here would suggest that HQP player do not play back the same way as Roon do, and using the same following software up-sampling in HQP is in my book a necessity to correct the large amount errors especially in modern music mastering. I can play a DECCA digital issue with no apodizing but ending up with close to 10,000 corrections in Madonnas Hung-up. End of my story and anyone else here trying to shift focus from the questions I had when creating the thread. Hi-jack any other thread, but mine, if the scope is discussing SQ, as I begged in the initial question.

Now, any otherone out there who are in the position with a working installation of Fedora with Roon core of any sort possible to install and operate with a graphic UI in Fedora?

Not sure why the instance for Fedora but perhaps this person can help you.

At your skill level, I would take the advice of the others and use Ubuntu as it is far easier to get help and tutorials on this distro.

1 Like

This assistance was provided with instructions, and a fair warning that Fedora is not the best choice for a noob.

Yet in your opening post you said:

And I gave you one reason why there could be a difference because you declared yourself a total beginner, and this information is relevant.

Anyway, I acknowledge your ingratitude, and will not bother you again.

1 Like

Thank you, just the fact that you even mention skill level in the same sentence as my persona is perceived as kudos :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The lack of it, is perhaps the reason as you say. Maybe I should ask a friend that usually hang around the HQP community, who wrote the same. The panic for me is that code typing. Perhaps the Ubuntu is equally graphic in basic handling as Fedora? Allright, I will turn to the HQP heaven for further recommendations. Thanks @AllenS and @Martin_Webster for at least trying. I wish computers were as easy as basic electricity to understand, even though basic physics is a big bite to chew as is … :hearts:

Just as you know, I am grateful for anyone writing to help, but the fact that you could not stop from poking around where I explicitly asked not to, made me loose the respect. I am a n00b, at this, no need to rub it in. But I am a user of Roon and HQP for many years. Further I am a professional in the sound industry when talking about SQ, as are the people I have had visiting me while trying to determine the difference between the above. So I will state here I am grateful for your time and effort. If you ever get the crazy idea to write me again, no matter how silly my question, please give me just the info I asked for. Peace :hearts:

You could try my instructions which worked for fedora 34.
If you are not familiar with Linux terminal commands then you could easily come unstuck.
I switched back to Ubuntu after experimenting with fedora; I didn’t find it as simple to use, probably there was something else I couldn’t get working, though roon itself was ok.

2 Likes

Thanks Robert :heartbeat:,
opened a new topic on HQP pages addressed to one of my contacts there who are running Ubuntu and recommended that OS. I just have to learn I guess, but it is funny that after all this years, Linux have not come out from the caves yet and still require the terminal for these things. It almost seems that Linux community keep Linux from the masses, by consiously keeping the OS just on the far side of ordinary peoples reach. It is almost a bit elitist, to not take the necessary steps from present stage, would you not say?
I had problems already 1985-1988 when working for ABB in a mainframe VAX computer invironment with i.e. stupid terminals to tap in information from and I could not visualize what commands ment to the real world. 1988 I started a new position at former Volvo Hydraulics with desktop publishing in Mac, with the fore-runner to Adobe InDesign, Aldus PageMaker. Aldus was bought buy Adobe and it seems today completely dominating the market. That is another story, though … :sweat_smile: but ment that I at last could “see” what I was doing. 2023 (38 years after) Linux still rely on terminal commands …

1 Like

There is no conspiracy.

Linux has a minuscule desktop market share for various reasons. It is inevitable that it reflects the needs of its users, and it should. The corporations that contribute have largely given up on the Linux desktop and contribute for what they need - usually servers, keeping the internet running, etc. For many such tasks, performed by knowledgeable users, the command line is what they need.

Nevertheless, there is a lot of work going on to make it easier with GUIs and you would see if you compare an average linux distribution from 10 or 20 years ago to today. Don’t forget that very much of this is created by volunteers without payment. Dedicated desktop Linux companies are tiny.

There is lots of things you can do only on the commandline in Windows or Mac as well. Microsoft developed PowerShell scripting not too long ago because professional system administration with GUI tools is a nightmare.

One could also ask why, with all of Microsoft’s money, many tasks require Unix-like operating systems because Windows is just not good enough.

However, in the end it is most important that files and data can be shared. Users will never all agree on the same interface. My mom needs a different operating system than I do. It’s the same as my mom and myself not agreeing on the same car or music either.

4 Likes

Love PageMaker. Still have it installed on one of my systems.

1 Like

Just make sure that you are not doing any pre-processing in Roon, ie DSP, volume leveling, etc before sending it to HQPlayer.

1 Like

a rolling release such as Fedora

Fedora is NOT ROLLING RELEASE. Fedora is point release. Well except Rawhide which is rolling release.

I’m running my Core on Zorin Linux Pro. Which is a rolling release and based on Ubuntu.

Following the “Installing Roon on Linux” guide that @Martin_Webster has already posted it was very easy to get RoonServer running. Here I’ve only had to manually install ffmpeg and cifs-utils as they are apparently not part of the default Zorin installation.

After this it was just copy & pasting

$ curl -O https://download.roonlabs.net/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
$ chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
$ sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

into the terminal, which downloaded the RoonServer and automatically set it up as well to automatically start with the computer when booting Linux itself.

1 Like

There is NO “treatment” in Roon. As Jussi from HQP clearly says, turn off everything except the music from Roon and let HQP handle any re-sampling of choice. At the start with Roon I added a little re-sampling and EQ compensation with corresponding improvement to the SQ, but the recent years with HQP has told the truth that Jussi expressed to the letter. The HQP is a proper pro tool. Some albums I have always loved from for the music, but hardly ever played because I could not stand the sloppy post processing, now play beautiful. Especially the older off course brittish hard rock where albums mostly are originally produced very well and it is such a joyride to squeeze the little extra out from the tracks. One of my favourite bands ever is Deep Purple and the golden age two albums In Rock and Machine Head is so wonderfully crafted, and played back in a rig with very little noise, every little tiny detail from the specific recoding is displayed wide open even without headset. Iam there, in the lounge of the hotel, on the set, recording. :heartbeat:

Yes, you are correct, but there’s no need to shout!

Nonetheless, my advice remains the same: if you’re new to Linux start out using Ubuntu.

And one of my fav live albums is “Made in Japan”. I saw Deep Purple on the Come Taste the Band tour with Tommy Bolin. My ears rang for a week after that show.

1 Like

I had the same experience with Whitesnake in Scandinavium Arena in Gothenburg, Sweden. Cozy Powell, and John Sykes competing who could play the loudest … The SQ sucked, the guitar looped in feed back all the time, just screaming and the only decent moment was when the band went off stage and left Jon Lord //“spreading his Organ all over the stage” //quote, David Coverdale. :sweat_smile:
Today I am not so amused over the insane sound pressure, I think they destroyed some upper midrange hearing in the left ear. Today the law is strict about max sound pressure and I also in addition have ear plugs for musicians that are much more frequency flat in the damping, compared to the normal plugs.
Those were the glory days. Happy I saw the Deep Purple reunion tour, twice actually, Perfect Stranger, but Ian had lost some of his magnificent voice in 1986 and could no longer take those hillarious high pitched screams as in Child in Time. One could easily see that just the sheer effort in his trials was painful. He is always fun to see, though. He’s got a great sense of humour on stage. :upside_down_face: