Plume Superpods and ARC

Roon Core Machine

Latest iMac.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Plume superpod mesh network, without a bridged router.
No VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

B&W

Number of Tracks in Library

Not relevant

Description of Issue

I am unable to connect ARC to my core on my new iMac.

I have enabled UnPn and have tried disabling firewall and Malware security but it still won’t work.

Do I need to get Roon whitelisted by Plume?

@Andrew_Crossley, welcome to the community. I moved your post ot the Port Forwarding support category. To better assist fellow users such as me and the Roon staff with your question, can you please paste the error message you are receiving in the Settings → Roon ARC tab on your Core?

Thanks. The error message is:

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“212.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“100.64.22.86”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.40.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Thank you Andrew. Unfortunately, the second IP address shown, starting with 100.64, shows that your ISP is using something called Carrier-Grade NAT (CG-NAT) which is required to share a small number of public IP addresses across many homes. Unfortunately, Roon ARC cannot work at the present time across networks using CG-NAT. They are looking at options to make this possible, but have not publicly announced a timeframe or a solution.

There is a possible option if your ISP can remove CG-NAT to your home or offer a static public IP address. Is this something you can discuss with your ISP?

Altnernately, there is another option to use a VPN service such as Tailscale, but I do not use that type of service for ARC. There is a good discussion on using Roon ARC with Tailscale here:

Hi @Andrew_Crossley,

If you contact your ISP for a static public IP, you could ask the following questions (don’t made this up myself, just copied from benjamin - Roon Staff: Technical Support).

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding?
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?

Hope it helps.

Maarten.

1 Like

Thanks Maarten. I’ll try that.

Many thanks Robert. I’d least I now know I’m not going mad!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.