Poll for those who don’t use ARC to ascertain if it’s don’t want to or can’t

Whilst Qobuz and Tidal now have pretty excellent libraries - I still have albums they don’t.
I also quite often listen too podcasts that I have included in my Roon Library

One app access rather than qobuz + BBC sounds + podcasts sounds good

so yes I’d appreciate it

I currently have a “double NAT” setup and am looking to replace it to explicitly get Roon ARC (and one other use case to work)

I remember reading in the forum that it was a high priority to work with the version of DHCP a lot of carriers (including mine) use. No word yet

I’d love to use the Roon ARC app instead of Tidal or Qobuz while driving or away from home, but the inability to download streamed music for offline makes it a dealbreaker for me.

I appreciate that ARC now has an Android Auto function, and it’d work perfectly for me if it could be used offline, since then I could make playlists with both Tidal and Qobuz tracks, instead of needing to use Tidal for my playlists (the Qobuz app on Android is broken for me).

Unfortunately, it’s not likely that there will be the ability to download streamed music anytime soon, since it’d be a licensing issue with artists, and would be entirely up to Tidal and Qobuz to allow.

Roon could technically do something similar to DRM-defeating software (like DRMare) and access and read the offline downloads from the Tidal app, but this would probably be either illegal or a breach of agreements with streaming services. Sigh

I’m not using it yet, as it is technically impossible. Although I had an intense dialogue with ROON support they finally concluded that my access problem cannot be resolved individually. I must wait until ROON launches there next update. Unfortunately I don’t know how long I and I suppose many other interested ROON users have to wait?

I was not able to make ARC work, I have a router behind my Internet provider router so I think that is part of the explanation. I am also concerned about opening more ports than needed (I don’ even enable access to my NAS from outside). I would keep researching how to make it work if I had more information regarding to security aspects.

I use ARC every day and with a lot of satisfaction. i’m aware of the fact that the app just has left the beta-stadium and has a long way to go. For me it works very good, streaming from my ROCK server. My consern is with the lossy Bluetooth codec, and I hope there will be a solution to this problem.
Roon, keep up the good work, and continue develop ARC.

I am using Qobuz and it is fine. I tried ARC but I had too many problems synchronizing files locally…

Using Arc out in the city, right now. Working like a charm! Beautiful interface. Sounds great. And, the superb metadata Roon is known for. Great job, Roon!

Arc works fine for me. It makes sense for me as it gives me access to my library when I’m “on the road”. I’m a bit old school, if I like music I buy it rather than stream so I have it in my own library. I use streaming to find new stuff. Each to their own.

Your survey is too binary… I have not used ARC yet, because I don’t listen to music when mobile, preferring audio books. A friend tried it and loves it.

I suppose if you prefer to listen to audio books when mobile you don’t use Arc because you don’t want to.

Agree, but not because of the way it is currently, or because it doesn’t work. Your survey seems predisposed to people not using it because of a deficiency.

Not for me. I don’t use because I don’t want to, I have no idea if I could get it working. I didn’t set up the poll BTW.

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
Oops! My bad.

I’ve just closed the poll which is a snapshot of ARC’s use by Roon users who frequent the forum in February 2023.
The results have remained quite consistent over the past few days:

So 60% Roon users use Arc, with the vast majority of these using it fairly regularly.

Of the 40% that don’t use ARC half would use it if they could

So 20% users of Roon have no particular interest in using ARC currently, so it’s clear that the concept of ARC is very popular with 80% Roon users with 20% having trouble getting it to work.

I think we can pronounce ARC a qualified success for Roon users.

.sjb

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t go that far since we lack some important information here.

First, it’s hard to prove that this survey is representative for the whole group of paying customers. I know some numbers were spread but they are far away from being confirmed. So, we simply don’t know that number. And sometimes companies are very creative with defining “customer” :wink:

Second, we have a closed group survey here i.e. only having information from those participants being active in this forum, having found this survey and answering it.

Third, the second part for the non-ARC users has rather overlapping questions which may led to a nearly 50:50 result. There wasn’t a clear option for not using ARC no matter how it currently is or how it would be in the future.

Fourth, “success” can be defined in many different ways.

• As a technological challenge, now, that it’s somehow working for the voters using ARC on a daily or weekly base. Rather positive outcome.

• As a ROI calculation. roon obviously spent a lot of time, effort thus money for making ARC. It is completely unknown when or if this ROI will (ever) happen just by having done so.

• As an overall product portfolio success. We already know that by intensively focusing on making ARC roon simply neglect(ed) many other areas like customer support, non-ARC bug fixing, non-ARC future developments. Some may say these negative side effects are just too bad.

• As an overall financial success. While future will tell something about ROI, it is clear that the investment is already done and will continue. We don’t know anything about future (paying) customer development regarding the availability of ARC or the obvious negative side effects. If ARC will ever lead to significantly more paying customers is beyond our knowledge. In how far the negative side effects may have already led to a decrease of paying customers is unknown. We simply don’t know.

So, “success” clearly depends on the perspective :slightly_smiling_face:

Hence “qualified” success.

.sjb

Ah, you mean “qualified” as “limited”.

1 Like

Using it in the car is great, as i can reliably use PEQ to correct the system in there.

Without a proper statistical survey we won’t know for sure, but I do think we got enough to answer @Sloop_John_B’s original question: