Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for unlimited access to the world's music via a streaming service? Up to 24/192

There are terrible recordings full stop and no resolution will make that better. Not exactly sure what your point is exactly.

1 Like

The only limitation that matters is our hearing, and the red book “parametrization” fully accommodates that.

…on the one side you have theorems and math. This has been defined by scientists on an “easier” level in order to enable the engineers to understand what was meant. You cannot really use quantum mechanics math for ADCs or DACs.

On the other side we have biology. Biology is not defined by 24/192 or 16/44.1 terms, so this does not matter. Biology does not care of red book “parametrization” but an engineer who builds a new ADF or DAC should (and a computer scientist will tell you how many “bits” he needs to create the most accurate reconstruction algorithms and to apply things such as room correction etc.).

You can ignore this of course and still insist on pure math validation for CD recording quality… feel free to do so… In the meantime I enjoy good recorded clasical music ( cześć)

BTW: its interesting what AI says in regards to this topic:

The Nyquist-Shannon Theorem is an important foundation for digital audio recording and playback. However, it is not possible to perfectly implement this theory in practice. Actual ADCs and DACs always exhibit some quantization and noise reduction.

In addition, the audio playback chain can introduce further losses. Amplifiers and speakers cannot reproduce all frequencies in the human hearing range. Additionally, room acoustics can lead to distortion and echo.

All of these factors lead to the conclusion that it is not enough to make 16-bit audio recordings at 44.1 kHz to perfectly reproduce music at the end of the audio playback chain.

Sorry, I do not semantically understand your sentences

I have no idea where AI got this from. (Probably from science deniers.) Human hearing range is about 20Hz-20kHz. Amplifiers can easily surpass that. It’s a bit harder with speakers, but also doable.

Besides, what amplifiers and speakers can reproduce is irrelevant to whether red book is sufficient for human hearing.

1 Like

Hi folks

This is just a poll to see how much we’d be willing to pay for music streaming services. Only for (my) curiosity I guess.

Could I ask that you start your own threads to discuss anything further.

Many thanks

:innocent:

4 Likes

I understand @Simon_Arnold3

I feel he was quite clear :wink:

:innocent:

1 Like

Particularly interested about the “World” portion of the voting because I not only pay for Apple Music, Tidal, and Qobuz, but THREE accounts of the latter, only to get access to some albums available only on certain countries!

Can’t hate regional contracts and copyrights enough…

1 Like

… I don’t get this semantically…sorry

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Biology shows that 16/44.1 is quite sufficient for our limited human capacities. The only important thing is what we are able to hear.

“Biology” does not show such things. You might misunderstand something. Generally, terms such as 16/44.1 or 24/192 are pointless in regards to biology.

Have you done an audiogram. You’d know exactly what I mean.

No, I do not know what you meant. An audiogram is a medical term. It is the result of a test in order to detect sicknesses of humans hearing. Here I have to apologize: my sarcastic sentence: “Do you assume a CD red book standard is a sickness and can be proven by an audiogram?” was not OK

To do that, you’d have to know the range of normal/healthy hearing, which we do, so we can say whether red book is enough to cover that, which it is.

1 Like

What are you saying? An audiogram lets you know your hearing capacity, frequency limit and threshold, whether you have a hearing defect or not. For me, sounds stop at 15 kHz-16khz, above that it’s total silence. My hearing is described as normal.

1 Like

Did anyone read this?

2 Likes

Definitely not, unfortunately. :confounded:

2 Likes

I’d spend more if it was a rare experience.

These days, even the interesting stuff is relatively common.

I’m not complaining, and I certainly have an appetite for hi-fi. I’m truly glad something like Roon is around, which can merge the various sources. FWIW that $15 monthly premium has the effect of setting what may be fair and reasonable for me to spend on the hobby.

And yet again it appears nobody can have a healthy discussion without getting personal!
Please people, debate the subject not each other.
Thank you for your compliance.

1 Like

A lot I guess. I have Tidal, Qobuz Sublime, Pandora, Sirius and Amazon.