Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for unlimited access to the world's music via a streaming service? Up to 24/192

How much would you be willing to pay your preferred music streaming services, to have full or near full unlimited access to the world’s music upto 24/192?

• £/$ 0 to 10 per month
  • £/$ 10 to 15 per month
  • £/$ 15 to 20 per month
  • £/$ 20 to 30 per month
  • £/$ 30 to 40 per month
  • £/$ 40 or more per month
  • I don’t stream

0 voters

1 Like

So our of interest while I voted for $20-$30.
I actually have multiple subscriptions which included Qobuz Sublime, Tidal family plan and YouTube premium family plan, so the real answer is about £50 :flushed:

2 Likes

Same here.

Spotify Family (arrest me now) £18/month
Qobuz annual (not sublime) £10.83/month

Did have
Tidal £10/month (before the increase)
Amazon Music (Prime customer) £8/month
Apple Music (One subscription) £22/month IIRC

Was paying upto £70/month approx :scream:

1 Like

Don’t care about hires just music in cd quality fine for me.

12 Likes

Same here. Qobuz in Roon is usually just set to 16/44.1, and CDs are, well CDs after all.

Helps Roon to play nicely with my extremely highend multi room systems.

Ahem! Sonos :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m paying for CD resolution Qobuz and that’s sufficient for my needs. High Res isn’t essential for me.

4 Likes

We don’t need to mix streaming with hi-res in this poll, do we? I also stream only red book if available, so I can’t vote.

2 Likes

You can vote, I put upto 24/192 as I thought that’d cover all basis. (I do see your point)

It’s after all what we would be willing to pay for our preferred streaming service.

This could be any of these, not an exhaustive list.

Spotify

Apple Music

TIDAL

Amazon Music

Deezer

Pandora

SoundCloud

Google Play Music

Qobuz

IHeartRadio

YouTube

Slacker Radio

YouTube Premium

Napster

TuneIn Radio

SiriusXM

Mixcloud

Primephonic

Bandcamp

SoundCloud Go

Last.fm

Jango

I pay $130 for Qobuz ($10.83) and $10.99 for Tidal. So, my answer is $21.82. I get Apple Music free from Verizon Wireless.

1 Like

I resisted streaming for a long time. Having a fair collection of CD’s that were also ripped to a NAS, I did not see the point of paying a subscription to listen to music that I had in my collection. My reasoning was that I was better of to use the money to grow my collection with music I like.
Due to music stores being less and less common, I eventually caved in and signed up for Apple Music as part of Apple One. Although it allowed me to discover new music, it didn’t feel right as a lot of my listening still involved music that was already in my collection.
A few months ago I discovered Roon, and with Roon I discovered Qobuz. After a trial period, I signed up for Qobuz Sublime. For me this offers the perfect balance. I use Qobuz for discovering music and buy what I like. Although I pay a higher subscription, I am able to purchase a lot of music with a discount so that this covers the subscription cost.

6 Likes

And Qobuz Sublime gives you discounts on a good number of content :+1:

Do you feel the extra Sublime subscription cost pays for itself with the savings you get on your purchases?

Wonder if the artist gets the same amount for an album even if Qobuz give a discount to Sublime subscribers :man_shrugging:

Apple One is a good package for my family. Just pointless for me as no integration with Apple Music within Roon :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It sure pays for itself if you buy enough music, but you have to get hi-res. I will not do that. Besides having to use more space and bandwidth for no reason, I would perpetuate a hoax.

You get high resolution, but you can download CD quality for much less than the Qobuz rate for CD quality

If you really want to you can download nice compact MP3 files :roll_eyes:

I would still drive up hi-res sales though.

I did chuckle about that as I wrote it

You can always pay more for CD quality in that case. It’s not like you will download the high resolution

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m 3 months into my subscription. During that time, I’ve purchased 55 hi-res albums from Qobuz. Although I’ve (deliberately) not kept track of my savings, I would say that on average the discount on a his-res album is 25 to 30%, sometimes more. So my entire subscription is more or less paid for when comparing to the hi-res price.

I’ve wondered about this. On the one hand, there is more income from my subscription. On the other hand, the discounted price allows me to buy more. :smiley:

3 Likes

Michael! MP3 is swearing ain’t it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

No♥️s

1 Like

Could be an option for maximizing ARC downloads.

1 Like

And as a consumer that’s what we want. More music :+1:

Actually, this is kind too apodictical from my point of view. Terms such as 16/44.1 or 192/24 (even lossless) are good for computer scientist and engineers (development of ADCs, DACs, filters, reconstruction algorithms, noise reduction etc.). For audiophiles the is: piano should sound like a piano, violin like a violin…
There are terrible CD-format recordings out there. Obviously the 16/44.1 parametrization was not enough in order to compensate existing electronic components limitations.
NB: do not assume to hear the “right” sound when you listen to electrophone music.
We hardly have a “representation" in the brain how an electrophone used by a recording session should sound like.