Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

so what could be an explanation for what caused this to happened?

I don’t know much about these things. I’m guessing there was some power spike which overloaded one of the components on the (faulty) circuit board.

It’s so much unfortunate that brand like KEF doesn’t engineer self protection system for the speakers especially
when it comes to powered digital speakers system. :weary:

At my home I have Audioengine A5+ powered speakers with self protection engineering, a quote from Audioengine official site specs of A5+:
“Protection: Output current limiting, thermal over-temperature, power on/off transient protection, replaceable external main fuse”

So if I understand from what you’re saying

I’m not sure if you did (so to clarify), I was saying that a manufacturer has an opportunity to refine and improve their product during it’s life. If (for example) 40% of all warranty returns are due to the failure of a single component, it would make sense (for economic and reputation reasons) for the company to take steps to stop that happening by improving the design or upgrading the component. Whether they do this or not is a different matter. If they’ve already got 5000 pre-made circuit boards in the warehouse, there might not be anything that they can do about the situation. It is common for computer motherboards to have revision changes made during the models lifetime.

1 Like

I expect that the Kef bean counters have made a simple calculation: cost of recall verses cost of fixing a percentage of sales within warranty. As there has been no recall or admission of a fault by Kef, we can all suppose how the calculation came out. Kef don’t pay for repairs outside of warranty, so no need to be concerned with angry customers with smoking speakers then.
Kef may still do the acoustic design in the U.K. But everything else is clearly outsourced overseas, including the electronic design, testing and QC.

A answered email from KEF USA about faulty hardware LS50W:
“The stated problems with LS50 Wireless have been extremely low and far between. KEF is exceptionally please with the performance and reliability of the LS50 Wireless Speakers. ”

Well, if they said so.

Actually, they fixed mine outside of warranty, only a month or so out, but it was outside the warranty period. The amp boards were faulty and needed to be replaced.

On another note my mother has a set and has had no issue with hers (so far), purchased about a year after I got mine.

hello. I noticed that my speakers have the same problem. What did u get after that? what’s the problem?

Just got my speakers back from KEF. They received them on Oct. 15th so the process took just over a month. They replaced both amp boards as they were faulty. No cost for repairs and really good communication throughout the process. Speakers are sounding great again!

2 Likes

Has anyone here had the boards replaced outside of warranty where they had to pay for it? If so, how much did it cost?

1 Like

If you bought the speakers on April 17 and posted the problem on October 18 so the faulty happaned after 1 year of warranty. they didn’t do any problem saying the speakers has passed the 1 YEAR warranty, and they don’t deserve to fix the problem. since I see they fixed the problem, please explain how they accept the warranty of it passed?

Kef has a two year warranty for purchases within the EU for powered speakers and subwoofers. Interestingly posting a link to that information from their U.K. website on here translates to the US warranty information.

You need to buy by proxy. Do you know anyone with an EU address?

My warranty was one year so they replaced the boards 6 months out of warranty with no questions asked.

2 Likes

You’re from US?
They replaced your speakers 6 months after the 1 year of warranty was passed without any problems saying you out of warranty?

They replaced my boards a month or so out of warranty. They acknowledged the fact they were out of warranty but said they would cover them as a courtesy to me.

If they knew an early batch had issues, the better manufacturers are pretty leniant with such things.

It’s always worth asking politely , even if out of warranty.

Nice to see KEF support is still first class.

1 Like

I’m in Canada so I shipped them down to NJ. Yes, they repaired them without any questions whatsoever. I was expecting some pushback but they were great!

1 Like

Especially when the product seems to be a bit shaky it seems.

If it’s just the early batch, it’s understandable. If they’re being cool about it (repairs/replacements out of warranty), you can’t ask for better support than that.

There have been $100k+ luxury cars with 0 km faults. It’s all about how it’s sorted that really matters.

I am really confused after reading too many faulty product reviews about Kef’s. I really liked them but Is the problem not fully resolved? Do you think it makes sense to get Kef ls50 wireless by knowing them? I was thinking to buy them in 1 or 2 days. What do you suggest me? Thank you