Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

If you live in a territory where they are supported, your risk is no higher than any other equipment. Just get them fixed if they fail, I haven’t heard of a fixed item failing again.

One year with no problem.
Don’t hesitate.

3 Likes

@Henry_McLeod "your risk is no higher than any other equipment. "
@Anglagard “One year with no problem. Don’t hesitate.”

Most of comments are so negative that I was thinking it has happened to everyone. Thanks for your comments.It seems that I will be buy LS50W.

Had mine since they came out. Zero problems.

how long the LS50 Wireless are with you?

Since January 2017 ,almost 2 years.

I have purchased 5 pair of these – 4 as gifts for my nieces/nephews and 1 for my office. The gifts were designed to introduce these millennials to HD music and real audio gear vs an iphone and the default white apple earphones. They were shocked at the difference vs what they were used to. The gifts have worked better than I have hoped. Even have 2 of them running roon now and both have added subwoofers. The other 2 aren’t far behind. All love them. There have been no problems with the 4 LS50Ws at all and they have been running for about a year.

The 5th, unfortunately mine, came with one speaker DOA. Returned and replaced both and no problems after.

Even with the issue, I highly recommend them.

Uncle Craig!!! I’ve missed you!! (Eagerly awaits shipment of new KEF speakers…) :wink:

7 Likes

They are on the way…but don’t hold your breath…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hilarious. I was just about to do the same.

2 Likes

My 11 month old LS50w just failed (and I just got Roon set up the way I like it too which is frustrating)

i was listening to music, heard a crack, my circuit breakers tripped and the speakers were completely dead. There’s a burning smell from the right speaker so it sounds familiar to the issue posted about 20 days ago.

Hi all,

After 13 months, my (first) set of LS50W seems to be dying, although in a different manner than described here:

Sometimes, the mid/bass driver of the master speaker stops, starts working again after ~5 seconds and then approximately one minute later this sequence repeats. Once this happens, nothing but turning the system off for a longer time helps. After some time, the problem is gone only to return hours, days or even a week later… Tried resetting, unplugging mains, different sources and I am on the most recent firmware…

Luckily, I am living in the EU so I still have warranty, I am however afraid that the strange nature of this error could make repairs a lengthy process… Anyone ever heard or encountered anything like this?

Greetings,

JG

Purchased a set in May this year from Clef in Australia. All OK my side.

1 Like

I have both Kef 50s and a Dynaudio Contours - Dynaudio is in a completely different league but it is also lot more costlier / I run my Dynaudio with my Devialet DAC/ amp - the Kefs come with their own in built DAC and is more of plug and play solution say for your bedroom or in my case I have it in my beach house - and it’s perfect at its price point - can’t get much better value than the Kefs but it would be unfair to compare them to Dynaudios where the price point is almost triple the costs just for the speakers.

Hi, came across this topic while searching for others with the same issues. Owned the LS50 wireless since May 2017, love the sound. However since October last year starting to have issues, clicking sound followed by a shut down of the main speaker. Power button blinking. Reset via button on back side of the speaker, reconnecting power worked sometimes. But this shut down happened several times within a couple of days. Contacted KEF Support, they referred me to the FAQs??? Contacted the store where I bought them, brought them in for repair, they were gone for 3 weeks, came back with new software update, no further issues found. Now 3 months later, same issue is back. Speaker shutting down with a click, blinking power button, reset button is not working. Contacted KEF again, had to contact the store again. So I am going to bring them back coming week and keep my fingers crossed.

I had no idea there are so many issues with these speakers (my first experience with KEF). I’ve had mine for a few months now & so far no hardware issues which is a good thing because I bought mine used & I have no idea if a dealer would be helpful or not if a problem cropped up.

The only major gripe I have is streaming with the abomination that is the ‘KEF Stream’ app (iOS or Android) which has kept me from enjoying the speakers as much as I’d like due to the constant crashes and unresponsiveness. I’m hoping Roon will fix this.

By the way, has KEF acknowledged any of the aforementioned problems?

Kef fix the hardware issues when they occur. It should be recognised that this thread doesn’t really offer balance because happy users normally stay silent. So it’ll document every failure but not the larger percentage of happy users. I can’t offer comment on the streaming app itself.

1 Like

I own the LS50s and was very interested in the wireless version when they were released… then I started to see people posting about issues with the hardware.

I figured that it was a case of a small minority of people with a problem, making some noise…

But I had been watching KEF’s Facebook page… I saw there were posts asking what to do, how to reset the speakers, what is a repair, how to repair, etc.

All of them were deleted… I have no idea how many there may have been.

As far as acknowledging an issue, the only thing I can recall is that KEF said that their returns/RMA requests were within their expected range for a product like this. (Whatever that means)

Add to this, a relatively short warranty period of one year, at least in the U.S.

This left a bad taste in my mouth, and it’s really too bad because I really wanted to give these a try. In my case, I found an amp that complements the LS50s well.

In any case, good luck!

I’ve had my LS50W’s for 14 months now - zero issues - very happy with them.

1 Like

Which amp?