Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

Same here… 14months and no problems yet…

1 Like

Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

I was skeptical about their Room Perfect technology, but it really works well.

One day I hope to upgrade to the 3400, which is Roon Ready…

2 Likes

After reading this thread, i bought a pair LS50W anyway. They are from mid-2018 produced and after one week of use i couldn’t be happier with them. Best Speakers/System i owned since years. Together with Roon and qobuz this is audiophile plug-and play as good as it gets. No more messing with dacs, amps, speakers, cables and so forth, just the music.

OK, the boundaries are 192/24, so no DSD. Roon solves this for me and downsamples or converts my DSD Data to 192/24. But this small system performs so well that i don’t miss much.

And the best WAF i ever get for a system, she is nearly as happy as i am.

I don’t mind if i ever get a technical problem with these. Maybe i am a few days without speakers until they are replaced, thats all.

Now that I think of it, there is one issue I have so far come across: my LS50W’s will not connect to a 2.4GHz WiFi network. I tried testing with my Unifi AC Pro AP and a couple other (older) routers I had lying around – the connection would fail at the last screen of the setup wizard (after I have entered the login credentials). This is true regardless of the channel I have set (1, 6, 11, etc.) for the 2.4GHz radio. There are no other wifi networks around, no cordless phones, etc. No amount of hard resets on the KEF’s would resolve this.

Oddly enough, they connect to 5GHz w/o issue.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

I love the simplicity. The floorspace formerly claimed by my audio gear rack has been forever reclaimed by my better half, meaning that separate components will never be allowed back into my living room.

That’s strange… Mine connect to 2.4GHz - Channel 8, no problem. My router is fairly close to the master speaker though.

I read somewhere it was recommended to connect to 5GHz, which I did initially. However, I have a printer that only connects to 2.4GHz and a naff Virgin Router that will only do one flavour or the other, not both, so I managed to get good results with channel 8.

Hi, my 2year old LS50 wireless have failed today! (actuall i bought them middle of May 2017)
went into the kitchen, came back to find the KEF’s had powered off, with no lights on anywhere.
It took out the house power along with it. They are completely dead now.
I guessing the power supply has failed… or the board like i see in previous posts.

I live in Brisbane, Australia. Can anyone tell me if I contact the online dealer i used to purchse from or should i contact KEF Australia?

Sad day…

So I’ve had problems with mine for a few weeks
Busy time for me so did not get round to acting until today

The right hand speaker developed a distortion/crackle after being on for around 30 minutes. Makes them unlistenable really sound is muddy and imaging and timing also seem to be affected

Pretty disappointing I’ve been following this forum from the start and decided to ignore the warnings of those people affected. I just wanted them!

I bought them from Sevenoaks the retailer’s Southampton store in the UK September ‘17. The store is now shut but hq agreed I could take them into the Kingston branch in London
They’ve been able to replicate the fault today and are sending them straight to KEF. So far so good

Hopefully KEF will repair or replace without cost to me we will see…
My guess is it’s the active side of things responsible and obviously it’s more than 1 year since the purchase…

Interestingly Sevenoaks gave the view they don’t see any unusual level of failures or returns with these devices.

1 Like

I’ve had mine for two weeks now. No problems and they sound amazing. They make just a perfect simple setup with Roon and a turntable. No more black boxes and wires :grinning:

Too bad so many are having trouble with these. I hope I’ll have smooth sailing with mine.

Agreed
Bottom line hopefully they’ll be repaired I’ll get mine back and continue enjoying them as before. Same as for most others on here

You would think it’s the earlier models seeing the problems and KEF have made adjustments accordingly so the current devices being sold are solid

1 Like

Hi - I have these speakers set up with a portable router (Netgear Nighthawk), my Mac being the core for Roon software. No issues to date. The 2.4g wireless works on the “N” format not “G”, KEF works on 2,4g N not G - but if you are streaming hi-res files either from your server or Quboz or even Tidal I strongly recommend adopting the 5g - the higher bandwith option as it will remove any potential dropouts which is largely dependent on your Telco’s internet speed and where you reside - for example if you are residing in an urban area in an apartment setting your wireless network is subjected to quite a bit of interference - 5g is a better solution, however your components in your system have to be close as this bandwith does not have the capacity in terms of distance as 2.4g does.

For example the new Apple TV recommends 5g for wireless streaming of 4k Video content - so for hi res files 5g is more than competent (subject to one’s router being a good one!)

In terms of my experience to date with these speakers - for a out of box solution - in terms of value for money, in my view best on the market for the SQ these speakers produce. I am very impressed.

2 Likes

Hi folks, I’ve been using my LS50w with Roon now since November 2017.

Yesterday, after reading on these forums about the benefits of up-sampling for MQA, I decided to give it a try.

It has not only improved the sound of MQA, but, to me, more importantly, it’s improved the sound of my CD rips!

There is a noticeable reduction in ‘edginess’, a slightly less ‘brittle’ sound, if that’s the best way to describe it. The sound with sample-rate conversion is smoother and ‘more analogue like’.

I found best results with the settings ‘Max PCM rate’ and ‘Smooth, minimum phase’.

I can now whack up the volume and it’s so…so…smoooooth!

I recommend giving it a try! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi JG,

I have almost this exact issue, but in my left speaker (the one without the controls on it). They are about 10 months old I think.

When I power it up they are usually fine for about 1hr, then after that as it warms up, the left woofer cuts in and out more and more regularly until it’s going on and off roughly every 10seconds, so 10 on, 10 off, 10 on etc etc. The tweeter continues to play throughout. Also makes no difference in what input is being used.

I’ve already sent them to KEF once via my retailer but they couldn’t find a fault so sent them back to me. I’m now investigating with them again as they are still doing it where I have them set up.

Did you send yours back to KEF?

Hi guys so my dealer in the UK agreed to return them for me after identifying the distortion issue in store
Few days later I get the message I’m getting brand new replacements as the part that’s failed will take too long to get hold of…
Picked them up at the weekend!
Not bad given I’ve had them 14 months and I reckon it was a failure on one of the active components for which the guarantee offers only 12 months cover
Date of manufacture aug 2018 so hopefully these later models have been tweaked…
So all in all great service which had a lot to do with my particular dealer (Sevenoaks in Kingston Upon Thames) being very supportive

1 Like

My remote volume working only sometimes.

I am the only one?

Very interesting, many of my cd rips are a little edged brittled shaped bright even with headphones.

hi. my ls50 wireless started to have the white flashing light and loss of left channel. i purchased in Aug 2017 and just now seeing issues. using stock interconnect cable. disappointing.

Hi, I’m new to ROON, Tidal and the world of KEF LS50W. This is my first post.

Just got the KEF LS50W speakers a month ago and have had some difficulty getting them onto my home network. I ended up just using Bluetooth as I could control the music choice and volume from my Apple devices. I am super happy with the sound from them. I hadn’t upgraded my hifi for 30 years and the new settup sounds amazing. I also have my old Linn LP12 hooked up as well.

I have, like a lot of people, found the KEF Stream app to be almost useless so have given up on it as it keeps saying it can’t find my network even though I know the speakers are connected to my 5gHz bandwidth. I knew there must be a better, more efficient way to find the speakers on my network and play them to their full potential.

Enter ROON. I downloaded the 14 day trial version to my mac and after initial settup ROON my LS50W’s popped up straight away on the network. I’m still experimenting with the interface look that I like but my Tidal favourites and albums came up straight away along with all the music that I have on my computer complete with album covers.

To say that I am impressed by the ROON/Tidal combo is an understatement. They work seamlessly together and I’m over the moon and can’t wait to get home tonight to play some more. It’s definitely the way I’ll listen to my music for the next 30 years!

Regards,

DK

7 Likes

Sounds like lifetime upgrade will in order

But then, did you solve the problem with the network? Do you use Roon and Kef via Wi-fi using Kef as endpoint of Roon?