Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

Hi Marco,

Yes, when I installed the Roon software I switched back to WiFi and Roon spotted the KEF’s straight away. I always had them plugged in with an ethernet cable but could never really see them on my network until I installed Roon.

I don’t know why they didn’t quite connect before - sometimes they did - then they would drop out. The Bluetooth option seemed more stable plus I had the bonus of being able to control the music from my Apple watch (just volume control or skipping a track or two) and iPhone (which had more control).

Ha ha, I have been thinking about it - I’ve still got 10 days free to go though! Might just sign up for 1 year and think about the life-time membership next year.

Do you know if the lifetime membership covers all software upgrades into the future?

Yes it does…but the annual one also covers all updates during the 1 year term too

It is important to stay up to date on the Core and Remotes together with the same version - otherwise when major changes happen then things don’t get out of whack.

Hi I’m interested in buying ls50w and was curious about hardware reliability issue too so I try to figure it out.

So, I decided to ask the KEF’s authorized dealer in Thailand on this issue. They are known to be very honest and very nice to deal with here. They admitted that the very first lots of the LS50w, few of them DO have defects specifically, IC and board burned after a period of usage, just like what you guys found out.

Fortunately, the dealer said that KEF have fixed this problem in manufacturing since the very first batches. However, the dealer did not specify the date or s/n that was revised but they confirm that the known failure of hardware should not be expected in the later batches. Many hundreds of ls50w have been sold here in Thailand and number of cases is extreamly rare especially from the units of later batches of production.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I love the speakers, and maybe I’m an exception, but my experiences so far are…

Owned a pair in black for about 3 weeks with no issues but decided that I wanted to exchange them for white ones within the 28 day exchange period.

White ones delivered and set up by me for Roon endpoint and optical in for my TV. Worked perfectly on both TV and Roon for about 3.5 hours after set up. About 3.5 hours in, while I was listening to Roon, the playback just stopped. At first I thought it was Roon but it wasn’t (sorry Roon!) and experimenting showed the speakers dropped off the network, not seen by my TV over the optical port, and no longer able to connect with the KEF Control app that I had been using quite a bit to fine-tune my subwoofer integration. It certainly felt like a fault on the control board to me. Restarting, including a long restart by leaving unplugged overnight and trying again in the morning didn’t fix it.

I’m about to unbox and set up my warranty replacements in a few minutes so fingers crossed these ones are OK and I just had very bad luck on the last pair. I’ve been really happy with the sound quality on the working black set that I had and my brief time with the first white ones.

I have had mine now for just 2 weeks short of a year.
No problems and lots of enjoyment

1 Like

Hi J_G and Punky_pj

I had the same issue with the second set too. I purchased my first set (In black) together with Kube-2 back in September 2017 @ Best Buy for my office. After couple of months, the left speaker started to cuts in/out. Fortunately, I also purchased the extended warranty so I was able to exchange the set without any problem. Everything was going fine and I really enjoyed them up until few of months ago. This time both speakers’ low frequency cuts in/out after around half hour. brought them back to Best Buy and now I’m on my 3rd set. I choose the “Nocturn” set this time just to make sure I got the latest production date (August 2018). I really like them and this setup is perfect for my office. Really hope they will last this time :pray:

1 Like

Interestingly, you have set up your speakers horizontally. Never know this is possible.

I’ve had the speakers for about a month, got it set up via optical for TV and aux with TEAC UD 501. Speakers are tethered to each other via ethernet cable.

Only had issues with the remote (don’t use it that often), but eventually started working.

Love the speakers.

Well damn…my left speaker sounds like the woofer just died. Only thing that seems to bring it back is unplugging from power for a little and plugging it back in. Even then it only lasts a minute or so before starting to cut in/out.

I know several have gotten replacements for early runs, mine are from 11/2016. I’ve reached out to KEF US to see what they say.

Bill

I used to have mine on their side underneath our house in the outdoor entertainment area. In summer they started dropping out. I blame overheating because of the way the heat sinks are built (vertical tunnels) and the fact it happened quicker if I played loud.

It’s never been an issue in winter. I now have a plan for a different way to set them up

I have them this week for a year.

No Problems

1 Like

New Roon user here—-No problems with my LS 50 wireless in almost 8 months. Also using a Hsu Research 15” sub. Running Roon core on windows 10 with USB connection to LS 50 (although connecting wirelessly to pc works flawlessly as well). Also using Tidal and 4 rooms of Sonos gear and a decent turntable setup. All I can say is… it’s amazing. Thanks and best of luck.

L.

For the last few months, I’ve been saving for a pair of these but, after reading this thread, I am definitely having second thoughts.

The attraction to having a single solution (Roon endpoint) is SO compelling but not if I’m going to throw money away.

Sigh.

To add to this thread: I have my LS50 Wireless for 18 Months now, playing daily fom 2 to 5 hours, often up to the limit (they can get very loud!). Added a heco sub to them.

Love these, had no issues whatsoever, other then waiting long for my 6month voucher for TIDAL.

1 Like

What did they say?

No word yet. Thursday will be two weeks so I had planned on checking in tomorrow/Friday. The quoted 3 weeks from time of receipt to diagnose and repair.

1 Like

15 months for me. No issues. Don’t use them that often but they have ‘improved’ as the months have gone on. Just about to put on the desk pad stands for my LSXs.

1 Like

So I got an update yesterday. Both “main boards” had to be replaced. They should ship Monday and I’ll have them back Tuesday/Wednesday.

As far as I know they replaced them free (except for shipping to them) and they’re 2 years out of warranty which I think is the right thing for them to do so, we’ll done KEF.

There does seem to be an unforeseen issue with early batches that hopefully has been fixed as they began to see problems. Still wish they would have done something similar to what Subaru did with the CVT on our Forester and simply sent a letter to owners stating they’d extended the warranty on them rather than leaving uncertainty out there.

Can’t wait to get them back!

1 Like

Fantastic news. Thanks for the update.