Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

Hi I’ve owned a pair of KEF LS50W since May 2017. Until today no issues whatsoever. Wonderful sound, stellar performance. Today, for some reason, they died. Completely. As if no power anymore. The powercable is in and half an hour ago they played beautifully. After shutting them down (a walk with the dog for half an hour or so) they just did not start up. No enlighted button (on/of), just dead.

I’ll contact my dealer tomorrow…

Greeting, PvdM

20 responses is not statistically significant.

Yeah, but…

Harvey Weinstein is considered innocent until convicted, but would you let your daughter take a job in his office?

Garbage analogy

Hi Michael mine has the same issue as yours and now it is in the KEF repair Center.

They told me that they are going to replace both speaker’s board. Although only the right speaker has the distortion after 1 or 2 hours playing.

Can anybody tell me what is the Ethernet connection for except firmware update? Can I use it as a connection to my music server for more steady connection than Wifi?

Thank you.

Sure you can!
Just connect it to a router or switch, and the KEF use the wired connection.
The wireless connection will be overrided automatically.

Thanks a lot. I did it wrong I connected the speaker directly to the music server by the cable and it did not work.

I will try to connect it to the router when it comes back.

Correction: 20 can most certainly be statistically significant. Depends on the hypothesis.

How many buyers do you think there are of the KEF Wireless ? Thousands. tens of thousands?

Not statistically significant.

You are simply incorrect.

Was this done for this poll ? Nope One of the most used is the random sample, where all members of the population have equal chances of being selected for the sample. Was random sampling used? NOPE.

Now we’re on to a different topic. Before we were talking about Sample size. You said a sample of 20 was not significant. It can be.

And convenience samples are widely used in published research.

So to update on my issue, I just got my LS50W back from KEF repair. They said the amp boards were defected and needed to be replaced. They had them for about three weeks (Plus one week worth of shipping time). They also honored the warranty even though they were just out of warranty.

Have had them for a few days now and they sound good so far… :relieved:

1 Like

Short story.
Right tweeter started to distort at around 3 kHz once the speaker had been turned on for a couple of hours. The pair was 9 months old and I had them repaired by shop. They told me they had replaced the electronics in both speakers.

Own kef ls50w going on two years. Problem free. No issues.
Updating awkward as I have to bring iMac from office to living room. Not fault of kef.
Questions asked answered promply by kef staff. Highly recommended for sound and reliability.

1 Like

Just got my pair last night and already major problems:

-Cannot see my 5Ghz wifi network
-Streaming via Spotify is extremely unreliable. Sometimes it can’t start streaming, sometimes it cuts out, sometimes it disconnects with Spotify Connect in the Spotify app but keeps playing (and I can play a different song on my spotify account through my phone speakers, STRANGE), then randomly it will come back, and then cut out… Very frustrating as this, along with vinyl, is my main source.
-Flashing “system fault” lights (though this is a guess bc there is no documentation telling you what these flashing codes mean.

I’m trying to do a firmware update now, but the instructions make no sense. They say to power off speakers, connect via usb to laptop running updater, and then hold “volume+” and tap “power on”. Well, there is no “volume+” button when the speakers are powered off because the OLED only shows “power on” button. I tried the same procedure with it on and with the remote, but no luck. The updater and pdf instructions also clearly show different button schematics that the LS50w which look to be physical buttons with LEDs in the corners. WTF.

Could someone please walk me through the firmware update procedure on the LS50w, step by step?

This is such a good concept on paper, but after 3 hours of frustration I think I’m already resolved to send these back and go passive + amp. Just too scary to have funky electronics and software built into $2200 speakers. My last speakers, by comparison, were a 35 year old pair of JBL L100’s that my dad bought new at retail… never touch, just worked and worked and worked for decades.

For the lights.
If you see the source selection, Bluetooth and volume down buttons blinking together, the Left speaker is not connected.

1. Check if the Left speaker is powered up

2. Check if the interspeaker cable is connected

3. Check if the interspeaker cable is incorrectly plugged into the LAN port

4. After checking the above, power cycle the system

I will see if i can find the update instructions. But it sounds kind of like you have the wrong updater?
The Gravity one has physical buttons lkke this.

Did you maybe download its firware by mistske?
Did you download the right one from here?
http://international.kef.com/product-support

Here is the firmware instructions for windows.

Had a right channel issue with sound fading in and out a few minutes after powering on. Latest firmware update made no difference. Back to the dealer.
Tip: KEF owners, keep your old speakers handy. Am appreciating anew the quality of my old Audioengine A5s powered with a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC!

And presumably don’t throw out the boxes the LS50W’s came in, you will be needing them. :slight_smile: :angry: